CairnTalk

Pet store Training

Guest posting as: Milopup

Guest posting as: Milopup

Anyone here ever bring their pup for training at a pet store (Petco, etc.)? My pup has gone through Puppy Kindergarten and Basic Beginners in California, but now that my mom will be watching him for a couple of months, thought I would have them do a Basic Beginner's course together at the local Petco.

Both of my pups have gone through training at Petsmart. I really liked the teacher and they both learned alot. They only went through the puppy classes and I have been thinking of having them attend more classes. I would love to know if anyone else has been through these classes.

We took Scully to Petsmart and we dropped out. The trainer was good and we would have stuck with it if the surroundings had been different.

Having this huge ring in the middle of the store, with children and adults - with dogs!) - stopping by and cooing and calling to the puppies was not good. The noise level was really high and I have excellent hearing and was having trouble hearing the instructor. Also, it was Scully and a Yellow Lab in the class who, even though about a month younger than Scully, was 3 times her size. I didn't like the fact that she had us let the dogs off their leashes to play, which would have been fine. However, the lab would repeatedly get Scully immediately on the ground and go for her neck. We were not happy with that.

Again, the instructor was good, but the atmosphere was not conducive to training, IMHO.

Archived