CairnTalk

Noise makes Carin go crazy

I wonder if anyone has even had this problem with their Carin Terrier. No matter what noice goes on around the house, lawn mower, weed eater, cake mixer, electric shaver, running water, television noise.....anything. My Carin goes absoluty crazy. He whines, barks, yelps, amnd whatever else he can think of to do. Is it a possible problem with his ears or is it just Carin nature to do this. I am about to go crazy myself with this habit. Anyone have any solutions for this. He is one year old.

I wonder if anyone has even had this problem with their Carin Terrier. No matter what noice goes on around the house, lawn mower, weed eater, cake mixer, electric shaver, running water, television noise.....anything. My Carin goes absoluty crazy. He whines, barks, yelps, amnd whatever else he can think of to do. Is it a possible problem with his ears or is it just Carin nature to do this. I am about to go crazy myself with this habit. Anyone have any solutions for this. He is one year old.

my cairn is 9yrs old and i've had similar problems for years. although you seem to have it much worse. my dog goes ballistic when he hears any kind of lawn equipment going, bicycles, or motorcycles. but the one thing that drives me nuts is that when my heat is coming up he charges into each room and goes to the radiator and barks crazy. but whats weird is that any other household noises like the vacuum, dishwasher, etc, there is no reaction. when i mow my lawn i have to lock my dog in the basement and blast the stereo. i don't really have an answer for you. i believe when they hear certain noises they look at it as though it might be vermen which is what these dogs chased and killed many years ago in the mountains of scotland. hopefully you can get your dog to calm down at least with the tv!!!! maybe you should try leaving on the tv at a good volume when you go out to get him used to it. try to pet him and reassure him when your watching tv. how does he react when you play a radio??

Thanks for your reply on the Phyco carin. I really don't know what to do with him except just tolerate it the best that I can. Hopefully he will get over this crazy stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
:) My 1year old goes nuts with the sounds from thunderstorms, lawn equipment, and fireworks. I called my vet and got a mild tranquillizer for her to use when needed. That did the trick for us! We've nicnamed it "puppy prozac". Ask your vet.

Our 8 year old Cairn, Catie, chases around her fenced in yard chasing and barking at every airplane that goes overhead. It's our favorite Catie story. She doesn't do it for anything else.

• 1 month later...

My 10-month old Male Cairn goes beserk when the vacumm cleaner or hair dryer is on. He runs up to the vacuum and barks as loud and as frequently as he can (he follows the vacuum around the house doing this). He reacts the same way he does when he sees a cat outside.

I think he really enjoys it ! When the vacuum is turned off he gives a few more barks and then stands with his mouth wide open (sometimes he wags his tail).

Jonathan

Archived