CairnTalk

Columbia River Specialty Obedience

bradl

While our conformation entry was very good (41) our obedience entry was also encouraging (9), if not super large. I suspect it's a bigger obedience entry than many clubs see at Cairn specialties (for those clubs that even offer obedience).

We got to see a happy rescue Cairn working at the Utility level (his first try) and that's impressive in its own right.

We had four Beginner Novice dogs qualify - one veteran earning a new title (at age 13!) another (Sammie, Dundee's sporty mother :) ) going High In Trial - Regular and Non-Regular classes, a handsome Champion named Oz, and a young dog named Quip, not quite 2 years old.

For her part, Stella qualified in Novice B and earned a giant ribbon for High in Trial - Regular Classes.

post-3-0-57889000-1342826786_thumb.jpg

The biggest award was surely the kisses I got from Stella; probably second was the judge talking to bystanders while we waited for the real show photographer to come - she complimented all the obedience Cairns and said "But the one I want to take home was THAT one" -- pointing at Stella -- because of her happy working style and the mischief in her eye. In the photo of us collecting our booty in the ring during awards you can see Stella's tail is just a blur.

I really needed a lift today and as they so often do, a little Cairn provided it.

• Like 3

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

:qualify: Way to go Brad and Stella. Congratulations!

Cairns come through for us all the time. And there is Stella giving you a boost when you could really use it. Just wonderful. :thumbsup::D

Edited by Hillscreek
  • Like 1

Congratulations Brad and Stella! Great Job.

These little dogs are amazing in their ability to pick you up when you need it.

:qualify: Congratulation Brad & Stella! That is super awesome! All the time & hard work pays off :lucky:

CRCTC is just a very special club! You all are very supportive & everyone is interested in producing a well rounded Cairn. So sad I missed your specialty this year. I hope I am still on the west coast and am able to come next year.

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

Sorry I don't have video of Sammie's 197 score in beginner novice. Ryan is an awesome handler and Sammie is so very good.

From the goofball class, here's Stella's modest-scoring but perky performance (complete with my herky-jerky handling). I nearly lost her when she decided she didn't like a tape seam on the floor. Fortunately you're allowed one extra command during off-lead heeling. The judge said "Nice save :-) "

If I can do this, you can too (and yes, your dog). I won't lie it can be nerve-wracking, but ultimately very rewarding.

Well, back to the all-breed show to watch some of our classmates in obedience, and of course the Cairns in conformation.

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

congratulations to you and stella! stella knew you needed cheering up so provided you with that boost!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

:Brad I watched the video of your Novice B run. Maybe your obedience instructor has told you this, but I think you need to shorten your stride. Your actual pace is fine, but your long stride makes it look like Stella is lagging most of the heeling pattern. She heels VERY nicely. Good attention and pretty much right there in heel position. Keep wearing dark pants when you trial her because it makes her blend into your legs. I would also like to see a more pronounced slow...you may have gotten points off for that...Overall I thought your handling was really good. Remember little dogs do not get away with as much as larger dogs as far as positions go. Its a lot easier for judges to spot than with a larger dog. I would shorten your stride by almost half and keep the pace the same. You have a REALLY nice heeling little dog....:)

• Like 1

Loved the video. Such a nice help for all of us to see what a formal test looks like.

It takes me back to long ago days when I competed with a lab. When you put her on a stay I was saying stay too! Stella is such a happy worker. Keeps up with you really well.

Brad, Stella looked very good out there. Such a happy girl & a joy to watch. I agree with Peppersmom...watch your footwork (that always trips me up too). How many legs is that for her?

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

I have never been to a dog event, and am very interested in them. Your post have been wonderful to see. Thank you for giving me a glimpse of what a competition is like

A cairn doing Utility is wonderful to see. No hesitation about the search and pickup. Excellent. Good boy Thomas!

Edited by Hillscreek

I agree ... inspiring!

I didn't see it personally, but either Judith or one of club member's said that on Saturday during one of the scent articles he sort of trotted past the articles and went over instead to say "Hi" to the judge. Having done that he sort of ran past the articles, grabbing the correct one on the way by while barely slowing down, and returned to handler with it. That's such a Cairn way to do things.

The judge (a poodle person - and a super nice judge) told one of our members that at home after the specialty she was talking to her husband about her experience judging the Cairn show on Friday. "I learned something interesting about Cairn Terriers as a breed today. They're naughty!" She meant it as a compliment, I'm sure :lol:

• Like 1

:D So true.

Naughty but in the nicest way that makes sure you don't forget the pleasure of meeting them.

Brad It is really nice to see what a Cairn that obeys looks like. Stella is a beauty, and a joy to watch. She looks so happy.

I love the naughtiness of a Cairn it makes the shows so much more interesting. Watching the other breeds are a little boring, not so when a Cairn is on the floor. They have such a happy spring in their step, and you never know what they may do. Then when they get it almost perfect it is so much more rewarding.

In the video it looked like Thomas "tasted" the article. My Pepper tends to do this also. I wonder if it is a Cairn thing. When we practice scent I have to be careful when I do multiple ones to move the pile over..the article I previously used tends to leave scent on the floor and causes him to pick up the wrong one, They noses just as good as a hunting dog I have found....

Judith and Thomas are also qualified to go to the Agility Invitation in FL this December. He is 4th in the 5 high point Cairns.

• Like 1

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun