CairnTalk

WHAT is it about this forum?

Autumn & Lola

I've been on a lot of forums. A LOT in the past 15 years or so, including community, national and global forums. The forums included many different interests including iconic TV shows, diet/exercise, gardening, writing, networking, music, self-employment, literature, health issues, vaping, immigration issues, travel, cooking, cycling, etc. etc. etc.

I have thought about this many times in the past. Why is it that on every forum I've ever been on (*except* this one), there is always some degree (sometimes a very large degree) of fighting, flaming, snarkiness, internet bullying, let's-be-rude-to-the-newbie, superiority, sarcasm and/or apathy? WHAT is it that makes this forum work in such harmony?

I thought - we have a common interest. But that's dumb, because in all the other forums, we shared a common interest.

I thought - the posters here *generally* tend to be a bit older. But that can't be it either, because on several of the forums I've been on, people were generally older.

I thought - the posters here (judging by the posts) are obviously educated. But that can't be it either, because some forums I've been on have had highly educated members, and there were still many problems.

So what is it? I'm truly interested.

I think perhaps, it's because the people on here seem *happy*. Despite personal problems, divorces, unemployment, illness, deaths in the family, deaths of our pets, the people here seem to be a happy lot. WHY is this? Is it because (as some studies have suggested) that dog ownership makes people happier in general?

I have rarely seen even a cross word posted on this forum. People are thoughtful, helpful, informative, engaging, interested and interesting, funny and caring. All questions are treated respectfully, even if they've been asked 100x before. Newbies are welcomed with open arms. Those with problems and sickly dogs are comforted. We all mourn when one of us loses a beloved pet. No one is ever laughed at or made to feel stupid. No one is blamed for making mistakes.

And even when I had to say goodbye to my Cairn Molly, I was told I was still welcome here, whether I had a dog or not! That *really* stayed with me, when I was at such a low point in my life.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

I have often wondered that myself. I have been on other forums briefly never to go back because of that very thing (mean people)

As far as being educated I can only say that I am not. I turned 41 June 16 and I just took the GED test on the 13 and 14 of this month. I passed and I am waiting for my diploma to come in the mail. I am a high school drop out.

As for it being dog ownership some of the forums that the people were so hateful on they also owned a dog.

So here is my thoughts on this forum.

It starts with Brad our wonderful moderator who treats everyone with respect and set the tone of this forum, which is the most awesome forum I have had the pleasure to join.

Then it is the wonderful Breed, they teach us a lot with there antics and happy ways. I also seem to think that we are attracted to this breed because they are like us. I have always talked about wanting one. My husband didn't really know much about them so he started doing research on the internet and when he first read the description of a Cairn Terrier's personality, he laughed and said " If I changed the wording so that it was talking about a person then that is exactly how I would describe you!"

It has occurred to me while reading all of the posts, that the wonderful people of this forum are a lot like a Cairn and vice versa.

Independent by nature but eager to please,courageous, fun loving and spirited ,yet kindhearted, not a one person dog but flourish with the attention that comes from being part of a larger pack, They like a rough and tumble game or offering a furry shoulder to cry on. This is a description I have read numerous times and have found that on this forum.

I do not know if I am right, but that is my opinion.

So you are not alone in wondering about what makes this forum so special.

• Like 1

This seems a good a place to mark Cairn Talk's anniversary. Cairn Talk in the current configuration was opened on June 29, 2002.

So now we are ten. :cake:

I want to thank everyone who contributes, who has contributed, and who will contribute :) Thanks for showing up, thanks for not tearing down the house :w00t: and thanks for helping each other out. We've had good times, bad times, but always: Cairn times.

Cheers! :party:

• Like 3

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Indeed, I am not educated, also with a GED. Brad an all of the wonderful people make this a fun, informative and special forum. Thanks again for the wonderful informatione and bonding that go on all the time.

Ten years is a wonderful achievement :party: A friendly caring group of cairn owners nudged by a humorous, relaxed, involved administrator has made it work. Thanks to all. :mellow:

As an aside..... All the brains and education in the world can't make a caring person if they are not inclined that way. Heart must be there too and the cairn owners on this forum all have that - for their dogs and each other.

Congrats on 10 years Brad!

And thanks to everyone for being so warm and and supportive as I go through the thrilling experience of my first Cairn. This place is incredibly special and everyone (Brad especially) deserves kudos for making it so wonderful.

Edited by _whits_

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations & Happy Belated B-day CF! :cake:

This is our go-to-place for all things pertaining to a Cairn. :book: Truly, it was a blessing to find this site prior to Max joining our home. Past/current posts have restored hope & given insights on how to 'out-smart, out-stubborn' the innocent ( :innocent:?) little rascal.

Blessings to all who make the CF a wonderful site to ck daily.

• 2 months later...

My daughter, Carolinasmom, told me about this forum, so I signed on around 2004. I was busy working after finally getting that long time coming, college degree, so put this forum aside. Then Lindy became sick with autoimmune mediated hemolytic anemia in May of 2005, which was touch and go, for the first year, so I went to a support group for that. Being a little fighter, Lindy beat that disease and we marched ahead. Fast forward to August of 2012 and Lindy was not her happy, energetic self. I knew all summer something was "off" with her. I tried to get her into the vet before we left on a cruise in June, just to see if something was wrong. He was not available until July and beings I didn't want to see anyone else, I waited. She did fine staying with my daughter and family that week. In August, I awoke one morning to find she had vomited and had two potty accidents, next to her bed. Not a good sign when she had her doggie door to go outside. The vet saw her that day and diagnosed her with kidney disease. He sent us home with four cans of k/d dog food and that was it. She continued to throw up, so I made an appointment with CSU. After all, they brought her through auto-immune disease. I was sure the combination of great minds and vets fresh out of the education system could save her again. They tried, we tried and Lindy tried, but there were also other issues going on, so

we knew when she started having dizzy-like spells, which the vets said were not seizures and then running around the yard digging and burying something unseen to us, it was time to let her go.

I was devestated. My heart was broken and each day seemed more desolate than the day before. My Lindy was gone and nothing I did could fix or change this hole in my heart. Three days ago, I was googling cairns and this site popped up. I saw carolinasmom had posted and saw little Ellie's pic on Marsha's avatar. I read the condolences and cried, but then something happened. I noticed a forum on: things we taught our dogs we wish we hadn't and I smiled, then I laughed. It was the first evening since Lindy died, that I had not soaked up a bunch of tissues crying. I was "home" where I felt I belonged, even though I am now cairnless. Thanks for giving me the chance to smile again. We cairn lovers are a special group. Thanks to you Brad, for bringing us all together.

• Like 1

Prayers go to Nancyj, such a strong person I am speechless.

I think because cairns give us so much happyness that we don't even realize how special they indeed are.... so it's impossible to get mad :P

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Newman. I've been away for awhile. After Lindy died, I developed this back muscle spasm, probably from stress. STRESS!!! Yep, I've had a lot of that recently. On the plus side, my husband and I want another Cairn or two. Probably two unless we have to mortgage the house to buy them. Lindy and Carolina, when she was here for the day, were so cute together and I loved every minute of watching them play, tussle and stalk squirrels. The only downside was we spent a small fortune (large for us) on Lindy's health care over the years, after she developed autoimmune mediated hemolytic anemia and then at the end, kidney disease, chronic pancreatitis and other health issues. I was so hoping they could stabelize her enough to give her maybe another year or two, but it was not to be.

Yes, she was very special.

Congratuations on 10 years. This is a special forum with great people.

I have been a member since 2008 found it when I got Nena and it was and still is my go to for all my questions and problems. I learned so much on feeding, grooming, and great products to help her stay healthy. And just fun times talking to other members and sharing experiences with our precious cairns. It is especially comforting to read the same experiences you are having with yours in other posts. When we first got Nena we never had a dog that would take off running on us and not come back! We chased her for the first year of her life until we mastered watching her like a crazy people. But to read that most of us here have the same problem helps.

I think the best breed of dog in the world would have to have the best forum too!

Thanks Brad so much

• Like 2
cairn terriers leave pawprints on our lives

• 4 weeks later...

my 2 cents... We have happy, curious, energetic terriers... it just isn't possible to be mean and hateful with all that joy near you!!

Personally, I enjoy this journey. Q or not, place or not... I still go home with a spunky little fireball that makes everyone at the show smile.

Kristi