CairnTalk

Book Recommendation

Zekey's Mom

I was just reminded of a book that I recently read and wanted to tell you about it. It's "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.

http://www.amazon.co...ing+in+the+rain

It's a wonderfully funny, sad, poignant book about a dog and his family, as told by the dog. Sadly, not a Cairn, but a terrier mix (and clearly not the dog on the book cover). You know from the start that the dog will die very soon. That's a given. The dog, Enzo, looks back over his life. He is convinced that good dogs will come back in the future as humans, which he wants more than anything. Well, that, and opposable thumbs. He's really burned that monkeys have them and dogs don't.

His owner is involved in professional car racing, and has mastered the art of racing in the rain, which has parallels elsewhere in life. I do admit, I skimmed over some of the racing bits.

WARNING: Only read if you are in the mood for a good cry, for you will be crying from the beginning straight through to the end. (But it's a good cry :) ). My Dad lent me the book, and after I finished it I told him he owed me a box of Kleenex! And yes, while reading it I wondered why am I reading this? Well, I just had to see what happened next. And I'm glad I did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, that's a great book. My husband and all his friends have read it too since they're racers. We've even been to the track where Enzo gets to ride around in the car as a passenger .. two barks!

Cheers,

Tami