CairnTalk

Elderly Cairns

CathyAnn

My oldest Cairn, Toto, is now 12 1/2 years old. She is due for her annual vaccinations soon.

Just wondering if any of you stopped with vaccines as your dogs have aged? I am just really concerned about her getting them again this year as she got pretty sick from them last time. Very lethargic, hardly able to walk from soreness for many days.

She never had a problem until the last few years and I have to think it is her age....

Your thoughts please.....

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Hi Cathy..

My Winnie is 11 and I've always kept up with her vaccinations because she's never had any reactions to them. Had she gotten sick after one, it might be a different story.

I'd say it depends on whether or not your dog interacts with other animals or other pets. There may be an alternative vaccine that your vet could use also that may have less after effects. I trust my vet and always ask his opinion about things I'm uncertain of. If I questioned his advice I'd ask another well-respected vet.

Just my $.02 worth

Many vet schools have changed to three-year protocols rather than annual. Example: Texas A&M, Colorado, Washington State, etc. One example:

10.  Vaccination schedules for healthy, adult animals (> 2 years old)

who have had their puppy or kitten series and annual vaccinations since

then will be as follows:

a.  Rabies vaccine: annually, SC, right thigh

b.  DA2PP: every three years, SC, shoulder region

c.  FVRCP: every three years, SC, shoulder region (or IN)

d.  FeLV: every three years, SC, left thigh

e.  Bordetella/Parainfluenza: every 6 months, IN

-- http://www.doglogic.com/vaccinearts.htm

Google: canine+vaccine+protocol

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Yes, Brad, I also recently read a magazine article about how they are now believing that vaccines last longer than previously thought.

Apollo....maybe I will ask the vet about a titer test. But, she would still have to get the rabies shot as it is required every year. Sure wish I knew which shot gave her the most trouble.

We have alot of opossums around here (I am sure alot of you remember our past summer w/Piper). That is one reason for not skipping that one.....ugh!

I just wondered if many of you had to deal with this issue yet and what you had done.

Thanks,

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

• 2 weeks later...

My boys don't react well to the vaccines (Ghillie in particular) but the vet gives them a shot first to lesson any vaccine reations. Also they have three year rabies vaccines now. I'd ask my vet about that. Good luvk

Archived