CairnTalk

Constant chewing and licking?

wheezie23

I know this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it in the search engine. Tucker's skin problem has gotten much better. There's still some flaking but it's very little. However, now he's developed this other problem. He's constantly biting his hindquarters and licking his paws. I've read that this is a common behavior for cairns and is often associated with allergies. Tucker is not due back at the vet for another week. I want to give the treatment that the vet prescribed the full month that he recommended. What I am wondering is if I should go ahead and try giving Tucker some Benadryl for this new problem and see if it helps? Zoe was itchy all the time until I changed her food and added Brewer's Yeast supplements. I've done this with Tucker and even added Omega 3 but it doesn't seem to be helping much. Any suggestions? Or should I just wait until I bring Tucker to the vet again? I hate seeing him so itchy!

Thela

Whenever Wes licks and bites at this paws recently, I find little pebble-things between his toes or stickers and thorns. Thorns and hairy dogs don't mix- He often has tons of them all over him and under his neck. That's a pain to remove.

How much benadryl would you give him? The vet suggested benadryl a while back and it really hyped him up.

Agatha is doing the same thing now. It seems to be getting worse as fall progresses, im hopeing it will slow down during the winter. I haven't found anything that works, we are in the middle of switching vets, my olds vets only suggestion was to go to an allergist. anyone know soft food that is good for dogs with allergies?

Rachel

This has been our biggest problem with Scully. She has little pink paws with not much hair. I thought they were irritated and that's why they were pink but the vet said it was a "staining" from the licking. He gave us Omega 3 pills which haven't done anything and he said if they didn't work there was stronger stuff.

He said this is normal for terriers and that in the winter it should clear up. It seems to be worse first thing in the morning; perhaps because she's out in the wet grass doing her business. We got her mid-August last year and she didn't do it last year. I'm hoping it stops for the winter.

I watch Rebel close when he bites or licks at his paws or hind quarters. I wipe his legs and stomach with unsented baby wipes if I see him going after his legs. He gets an oil supplement now (he will take it for his entire life) and I make sure his stomach is a nice pink color. When he was at his worst with the allergies his little stomach was black/dark gray.

I go to a very good vet who's mother happens to be a Cairn breeder and I feel very comfortable with her. She is very careful with his shots not to stress his system out to much.

Don't you wish they could talk and tell you what was bothering them.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

I had read somewhere that Flax oil was good for dry or itchy skin, and I purchased some from the health food store and started putting some on Brodie's food, because he was itchy all the time. It has seemed to cut down the itchies quite a bit. Be careful not to give toooo much; it also is good for constipation and regularity...so can give a pup 'another prob'

Archived