CairnTalk

Surgery for AMOS

chichi3

IMG_0054.JPG

Our 5 mos. old little boy AMOS is having double surgery tomorrow. I'm as nervous as I can ever remember being. He's developed a large sore growth between two of his back toes so he's having it removed . He's also being fixed. Having also developed allergies we decided we would rather not breed him later. The vet is going to draw blood tomorrow also to do some extensive allergy testing. Then hopefully we can begin to work on a fix. We've been trying antihistamines and various diet changes but not having too much success. Please keep us in mind tomorrow. I'll post when we have results from surgery.

Amos sure has a big day ahead of him tomorrow...poor little guy! Finch was spade about 2 months ago and I can still remember how nervous I was. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Amos's surgeries go well and that the vet will be able to figure out what he is allergic too! ((((hug)))).

We will sure keep the two of you in our thoughts . Amos is a handsom boy. I'll give my boys a hug, for Amos. Best wishes.

Hi! Good luck tomorrow - - I am sure Amos will be fine but they do give us the worries!!! Here's hoping for a safe and speedy recovery!

Scully and her mom and dad send Amos and his dad good wishes for tomorrow. Scully said she knows Amos is going to be fine!

We'll keep Amos and you in our thoughts and we look forward to hearing good results!

Good luck tomorrow! And, sure hope they get to the bottom of the allergy issue.

Please keep us posted on Amos!

He sure is a cutie :halo: !!!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

I know what you are going through. I just went through the same thing with my little guy Duffy. I send my thoughts and good wishes for Amos and you. I'm sure everything will turn out just fine. Please let us know.

MikeC

I remember how I felt when Madison was being fixed....found myself pacing, waiting for the phone to ring and then calling the vet myself only to find out she was just fine.

Everything will be okay and your little fellow will be home in no time. It's amazing how quickly they can recover from surgery and become a terror again. Hopefully the blood work will give some clues as to what's going on and then you'll have a place to start.

I will keep you and Amos in my thoughts today...

IMG_0009.JPG

Well I first want to thank ALL of you friends for your support and good wishes. It's very encouraging to have a support group available that can truly empathise with ones feelings.

Report: All is fine after the double surgery . Amos is now shooting blanks , and his foot looks like raw meat, but the growth is removed. I'll have the blood work results in about 8-10 days and then we can move forward on the allergies. I'll keep you posted on what if any allergens were found.

Once again, my deepest thanks for all your comforting words,

Gus(chichi3)

Great news to hear! I remember when Cooper came home as a cone head....what an ordeal it was to get him in his kennel!

Good luck w/the recovery!

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

I'm so happy to hear that Amos is well and happy. Well...being a conehead, maybe NOT happy. I know Dad's VERY happy.

Scully was clapping her paws for joy!

so glad Amos' surgery went well.

He looks so cute with his cone. Grilly

would always walk into walls when he had the cone on.

At first I thought he couldn't see the wall. :huh:

Then I realized the little bugger was trying to get

it off!

I hope Amos is feeling better soon! Keep us

updated on the blood work.

Be well!

Ellie ~~ Grilly's Mom

Yeahhhhh!!!!!!! So glad he's home and doing well! Still a handsome boy, with the cone :-) Glad the tough part is over...

So glad that little Amos is home and doing well, cone and all. I was very surprised last week when my Duffy had surgery on his leg that the vet did not put a cone him. Other than a lick now and then, he has been leaving it alone. His staples come out today.

MikeC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends, I'm back with a further report. Sorry about the delay but my pc was down for a week. Here goes.

They sent AMOS home with an E-collar, you all saw the picture I posted. Well, the collar stuck out so far that he couldn't reach his food or water bowl, he's too short to reach that far and so I decided to trim it down. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking about the foot surgery when I trimmed it and, well, you guessed it, he could now reach the incision site. I realized this after a whole night he had been licking at it while in his sleep area. Well I immediately called the vet to go get another one and after eyeballing it, I determined that the new one was just right. Not so fast, dummy !!! It was actually shorter than the one I trimmed, so another night goes by . Next morning up to the vet I go to get the RIGHT size and they're out, so I get one I swear would fit an elephant. But I made adjustments and now finally he has a collar he can't get around. (stick around, this gets better.) This was Saturday morning, his surgery had been on Thursday. OK, the weekend is passing and rather than walking better on it, he's picking his foot up and hobbling around on three . After careful examination we determined he has an infection possibly from licking for two days and up to the vet on Monday for stronger antibiotics, and pain medication. Now the foot gets wrapped. Next appointment is Thursday, and things looked better, swelling is down, skin is pinking up just right. New wrapping and a couple of days wait for the next check up appointment coming up on Tuesday the 26th. Saturday I discovered that AMOS has learned a new trick. (told you it gets better)If he sits kinda sideways and sticks his foot STRAIGHT OUT, he can reach it, and lo and behold this morning the bandage is dangling from one strand of tape. Of course, it's Sunday !!! All I've got in the house is a short piece of gauze and some adhesive tape. But human ingenuity is amazing. I got one of my dress socks, folded it down over itself to form a tube, and voila,instant wrapping. Then I used the gauze I had and the tape to finish it off until I could go out to get more rolls of gauze. WHEW!!!IMG_0051.JPG

Hopefully the collar and bandage can come off on tuesday.What a little trooper AMOS is, with all this discomfort he's just been a prince. I love him SO MUCH I could scream !!!

Now, as far as the allergies go, the vet called with the report the other day, If I say we have a 4 cat household can you guess what AMOS is allergic to?

Thanks for your support friends,

Gus(chichi3)

Poor lil Amos, but what an amazing "feet", getting to that incision! I hate to see these little ones in any discomfort.

Hope everything goes well and he gets rid of all that stuff on Tuesday.

So they're saying he is allergic to your cats????? I guess that makes for a difficult dilemma but seeing I'm not a big cat person, my advice would be way too judgemental.

My older Cairn had a cone on for a few weeks when she had surgery on her eye last year. We decorated it. Put stickers on it, I stenciled paw prints around the perimeter and we even wrote little messages saying "Get well soon". Our vet was in stitches when he saw her walk in with this happy little cone around her head. They said they've never seen one like it before.

It's funny how our pets can make the best of a bad situation...sometimes better than we can. Hope all works out for the best.

Poor little guy! I hope everything goes well at the vet and he can take the cone off. Yes, Cairns are quite the problem solvers, aren't they? Maybe we should vote on one for president!

Archived