CairnTalk

Phyco Carin?

I own a carin terrier and he will be one year old this Friday. This dog does weird things. First of all, he constantly chews and bites on his hind legs and around his tail area. I have taken him to the vet and they checked him out from head to toe and gave him a clean bill of heath. What next? Secondly, whenever he is laying around or sleeping, he suddenly jumps up and runs into a corner as if he has just been scared out of his fur. It doesn't matter whether it's in the middle of the day or at night. It's like he sees something and it is about to get him. Why does he do this and what can I do to help him. Please help.

Hi John

My cairn is almost a year old too. While she doesn't jump up when sleeping, she often does chew her feet and around her tail area. I found out that cairns are really subject to allergies. You might ask your vet for something like benedryl that is an anti histimin...actually, I have given the small 50 mg of over the counter benedryl to my dog and it works quite well.

Also, if she is licking or chewing her tail, she may have to have the anal gland cleaned out which is at the base of the rectum. Have your vet do this as it is a tricky procedure. It is a common problem.

Hope this helps :D

Thanks mary42 for the reply. I have purchased an excellent brand og dry food for my Carin. It is called Nutro Max.....several people have mentioned that it may be a food allergy. I have taken him to the vet to have the sacs cleaned. The vet said they were not bad at all. I will surely try the 50mg of benedryl and see if that helps. Thanks again for the reply. As for the suddenly jumping up that he does, I have no idea what to do about it. Maybe he needs a pet physic to see what his problem is.

Thanks

John

I own a carin terrier and he will be one year old this Friday. This dog does weird things. First of all, he constantly chews and bites on his hind legs and around his tail area. I have taken him to the vet and they checked him out from head to toe and gave him a clean bill of heath. What next? Secondly, whenever he is laying around or sleeping, he suddenly jumps up and runs into a corner as if he has just been scared out of his fur. It doesn't matter whether it's in the middle of the day or at night. It's like he sees something and it is about to get him. Why does he do this and what can I do to help him. Please help.

how often do you bathe him? that could be causing a problem

Archived