CairnTalk

KShep

I need some advice. I am caring for my parents 13.5 year old dachshund while they are in Florida. I've done this quite a bit over the last year since my father retired and they are traveling more. Plus, Dusty has been in the family since I was 13, so I love him very much. Over the weekend, before Mom and Dad left, Dusty suffered either a stroke or a slipped disk in his neck. The xray was inconclusive. He can barely walk, and sometimes falls over. It is heartbreaking to watch. My goal is to make him as comfortable as possible this week, but his needs are suddenly different than what I am used to.

First of all, he is having some bladder control issue and is having more accidents. I also have to lift him (carefully) outside for potty breaks. Any walking at all causes him to pant.....I'm not sure what is means, is he in pain? But the number one thing I need advice on is that he seems to be constipated. His abdomen is hard and bloated. I've heard canned pumpkin helps. How much should I give him? I can't let him go any longer without a bowel movement.

I hope that Dusty's condition improves, but right now, I can tell he is suffering. I feel so helpless.

Idaho Cairns

Best I can offer is to suggest you get Dusty back to the vet ASAP. Since he isn't your dog but one you have responsibility for on a temporary basis, I don't think you have the luxury of waiting and causing the dog more suffering and pain. It is an awkward situation for you to be in but you really do have to consider the dog's comfort.

Ok, I was planning to take Dusty back to the vet this morning, but he has improved a good bit. Plus, I gave him 1T of canned pumpkin and he had a BM. I will keep an eye on him the rest of the day and be ready to hop in the car to go to the vet. But for now, I am so relieved.

Thank you both!

Just agreeing with the others...still would take to vet! You never know what is going on in their bodies. Could also be a sign of water/fluid around the lungs or heart...just suggesting that you might want an x-ray in the mid-section. Prayers for your kind heart and helpful outcome!

I agree with the others. I have know experience with this. I hope everything goes well and keep us posted.

So sorry to hear about Dusty and his back. Glad to hear he is improving. I do agree, that vet care seems to be a good option at this point, but in the mean time, there are some safeguarding steps to take to ensure that he does not get worse. When Zekey had a suspected slipped disc, I found this site to offer good, practical advice -- http://www.dodgersli.../literature.htm . It deals with keeping the dog quiet, preventing jumping, dealing with bladder/bowel issues. Good luck, and keep us posted.

You had mentioned in your first post that Dusty had a xray recently. What did the vet say on this visit? Did he tell you to keep and eye out for any particular symptoms or events that may happen.

Are your parents aware what's going on right now. How do they feel about it and at what extent do they want things done?

You can always call the vets office for advice. They have recently seen Dusty and updating them on the status will help both you and them in his care.

Sending you positive thoughts to get you through this issue, and support.

Dusty update- I would say he's about 75% improved. Those first few days were scary, but he is definitely getting better. He ran down the hall this morning for his breakfast, hasn't had any more problems with constipation, and is responding well to the steroids and antibiotics. In my opinion, I think he has geriatric vestibular syndrome caused by an ear infection (which he did have beforehand). I was watching other dogs on youtube and their behavior is almost identical. I don't think the Vet would have caught that with a short exam and by not watching his walk or the way he was holding his head.

Oscar's Mom- They suspected a slipped disc in the neck due to weakness in his front paws, or a stroke. They did an xray and didn't see the problem. They also offered to do a spinal tap and MRI, but we didn't want to put him through that. So, they sent him home with meds to treat his symptoms. I wasn't with him when all this happened on Friday, so I never saw improvement of the initial condition. Since I have been caring for him on Sunday afternoon-he has been improving steadily. One thing that hasn't improved is his hearing. He was slowly going deaf....I'm not sure he can hear much of anything now.

I talk to my Mom about him several times a day. We are all concerned. We did not think his original diagnosis was good at all. I think in the back of all of our minds, this was just buying time before he would need to be put to sleep. I was planning a trip back to the vet yesterday morning, but he was much better.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Dachshunds are known for their very weak backs... because of the lenght of their spine. I would still take him to the vets. I am not a fan at all in regards to steroids, however when our Scottie Sandie landed up with back problems she could hardly walk or even lift a paw. We thought the worst but rushed her into the vets. It turned out to be a pinched nerve somewhere in her spine. They put her on a short course of prednisone and within 24hrs she was back to normal. She went on to live another year and died of cancer in the end.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Archived