CairnTalk

Does he have to be stripped?

Hillscreek

Idaho Cairns

Well here's a thought with a description from some publication concerning the Cairn Terrier. Nice thing about it all is that there is lots of room for interpretation!

DSC01245.JPG?gl=US

Sorry, this caption didn't come thru with the picture!

"The Cairn Terrier is a small athletic looking dog that has a mischievous and intelligent look. Often their face is described as being almost fox-like in appearance with sharp pointed ears that are set relatively high on the head. The ears are always carried erect and the bushy topknot and longer hairs on the ears give a softened outline to the head. The muzzle is strong looking but not square and is somewhat pointed in appearance. The face has a definite stop between the deep set brown or hazel eyes that are framed by bushy eyebrows. The eyes of a Cairn Terrier seem to sparkle with intelligence and good humor and they are very interested in watching everything around them."

transparent.gifLiketransparent.gifViews: 12

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 1

I like that "hardy, shaggy, lovable, varminty, little terriers" description a bunch and I agree

Me too, Idaho Cairns. Like the picture also.

Edited by Hillscreek

• 4 weeks later...

Almost at the end of the stripping saga. Angus's coat seems to be full and getting past the best. It is about two inches long in most places.

Here's his head.

I'll post pics of his sides when I can get a good likeness.

It's a multi colored coat red, wheaten and dark brindle.The dark coat is coming in underneath quite rapidly on sides belly, and elbow areas

It has taken five and a half months to grow back. In the last few weeks it has grown so fast it is getting away from me!

post-5753-0-04679000-1347231710_thumb.jp

Good view of his ruff.

Got some layers but coat on spine is getting away.

Hard to keep neat with the different colors. Think it would be easier if he were all dark.

This has been a great learning experience thanks to all the help I've got. I'll enjoy playing around with his coat and seeing how I can improve my somewhat shaky beginnings!

I heard than fewer red brindles were being shown in UK because harder to keep the often thicker coat with the dark brindle neat for show.

Is this the case here in US?

post-5753-0-51702600-1347299065_thumb.jp

post-5753-0-42815200-1347299093_thumb.jp

I wouldn't say that fewer red dogs are being shown (at least on purpose, on account of their coat color/type), but I would agree that those showing red dogs often remark on how unforgiving the coats are!

Keep up the good work! You have a great attitude -- experiment, discover, enjoy. Lather, rinse, repeat :P

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thanks Brad.You've been so encouraging. The three different colors in his coat make it a challenge.

Thank goodness I'm now assured his coat will grow back though slowly

His coat looks so different from many in the photos I see. It lays so close. to his body and doesn't look as long as it is. I see it will be a great protection as the Pennsylvania winter comes along.The undercoat is dense also.

i love the feel of his coat harsh, yet brilliant and gleaming in the sun. Very different from rough coat JRT's I know.

Wonder what the coat color/texture inheritance is. Probably not easy to determine without a lot of DNA testing.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my goodness. I thought I was done with this thread now that Angus has grown a coat.

HOWEVER I find that the adult coat is way different from his puppy coat - duh! I know - I'm slow. But I mean in the taking care of it trying to roll it. I haven't taken nearly enough out.

This was pointed out to me by a Border Terrier breeder at the lure coursing class we went to. Borders and Cairns know each other and it was fun to chat with a Border breeder who'd had them since 1963.

It was a windy day and the lady was looking at Angus as we talked a bit about coat care.'Look at him' she said 'pull that long hair out' and she plucked a few to show me.

Now I'm home I'm see there is plenty of coat and he is not going to be naked if I pull more than I have been doing.

Over the last couple of days I've gone to work and got a lot out. Not only does he not look naked he looks much neater!

This lady's daughter hand strips terriers so I'm wondering/hoping maybe I can sign up for a lesson!

The newbie's tale goes on!

Edited by Hillscreek
  • Like 1

Yes and it will grow a lot faster now that he has the adult coat. I can't keep up with Kelly's. As a working mother with 2 sons, a husband, and a sweet little Cairn, I just don't have enough hours in the day. I just strip enough of Kelly's to keep her from shedding, for her skins benefit, and so my sons allergies won't get bad. I keep her face a little tidier than the rest, because I love to see her expressions, especially her eyes.

• 4 weeks later...

Fall2012.jpg

When I relaxed for a two or three weeks suddenly his coat was old and full of holes!

2012-10-20004.jpg

Pulled it out. Underneath was new coat growing from what I had rolled earlier. Left the head tail and legs. Looks a little odd but the new coat is coming in fast like Lynn said it would.

Edited by Hillscreek
  • Like 1

Fall2012.jpg

When I relaxed for a two or three weeks suddenly his coat was old and full of holes!

2012-10-20004.jpg

Pulled it out. Underneath was new coat growing from what I had rolled earlier. Left the head tail and legs. Looks a little odd but the new coat is coming in fast like Lynn said it would.

Okay, that looks absolutely beautiful!!!! I am so doing that for fonzy once winter is over. I Love the word "Trim" haha, cant believe I used the word "shave" I apologize.

Angus is a absolute beauty!! Those furs blend in with the leaves for halloween too! aahahah epic!

Last question, how long did it take??? :Ddddddddddddddddddd usually takes me like 2-3hours... :( :( well worth it though huh? haha

Edited by Newman

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

Newman: I'd say it took me that long but I did it over two-three days.

He is not stripped down to his undercoat like the first time. What you see in the pic is new top coat.

You can read the whole story if you want. It was a lot of work but I'm glad I did it. This new coat is beautiful. Lovely color and harsh like it should be.