CairnTalk

Peeing in other people's homes

Tami

Fearghus will be two in April and is housebroken, at least as far as OUR house is concerned. However, whenever we go to my dad's place Fearghus suddenly feels the need to mark his drapes, carpets, etc. I try to take him out more often and then yell no if I see him lift his leg. I'll use the deodorizer to clean the spot but it seems hopeless. And, this past weekend we went on a road trip and had to spend the night in a motel where, yes, you guessed it, he promptly lifted his leg and peed on the wall. Ugh!

I'm thinking of getting a belly band to use in those situations so that I don't have to constantly worry and watch him that closely so that I can relax a bit. Have you used them before? Or is there a better way to address this problem? We rarely have Fearghus any place other than our home, our car, etc so I guess these are all new places to him, but they're still inside so I'm confused as to why he's behaving this way.

Cheers,

Tami

Kelly is not a boy and does the same thing at my Moms and my Mother-in-laws. She is doing it a little less now but is still doing it. She is 10 and 1/2 months old and is potty trained at home. I have been praising her more when she uses the outside at their homes. If you find something that works let me know.

I think it is just a male dog thing. My neighbor has two delightful Doxies (brother and sister) which we love but we cannot let the male in the house because of his marking. The couch, baskets, edge of the stairs get wetted on no matter how hard we watch him. It is a shame and I don't know what to tell you since I have such limited experience with male dogs.

Fostermom here-- bellybands are 'good manners preservers' as well as 'sanity-saving'. I liken 'other homes markers' to kids who haven't 'gotten' all indoors is a 'no pee zone'; although, unfortunately some just can't resist marking a new place, but I've found more visiting experience and reminders of "potty outside" before entry, do help. Pet stores, farm stores, plant nurseries, home improvement & electronics stores; putting them in a cart sometimes gives the experience, but limits the possibility of marking; use a cardboard drink tray or thick towel/blanket for them to stand/sit on in a cart.

I use BB's during housebreaking, initially they may be flooded before the housbreaking idea gets 'well-planted' so they're used with a cheap incontinent pad inside them (later cut in half), the BB's don't have to be washed as often/aren't soaked on the first infraction. The theory is, besides wearing a BB, the dogs also don't like the feel of the wet next to them so it acts as a reminder not to wet/mark--self-training? If you do have wet spots in the BB, you might like another practice used by some-- wiping the 'underside' off with a baby wipe to remove smelly/irritating residue.

BB's are a great 'in case' item to have on hand; I keep one for my boy & a panty for my girl, in the car, although a 'tank drain/pit stop' session before entry and a reminder to 'potty outside' are usually enough to retain their manners. But I've also seen my boy play 'follow the leader', a resident watered a table leg and mine followed suit--and he got yelled at for it. Then my girl (she is a marker) thought she'd try it too, but was spotted while she was trying to 'maneuver into place'.

You can pick your fabric, get custom fitting & reasonable prices from cairn rescue at their ebay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/Col-Potters-Eclectic-Corner/Belly-Bands-/_i.html?_fsub=192413011&_sid=240343341&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Girly drawers are available from other ebayers; look for 'bitches britches'.

Thanks for the reassurance about belly bands MegsMom. I'll definitely order one and I like the link you provided ... always nice to help support the rescue group at the same time.

Cheers,

Tami

• 1 month later...

I have the same thing with the Oz. Oddly though, he poop marks more than pee marks in others' homes. Drives me CRAZY. I have learned that when I go somewhere I will let him in the house for a bit and then take him outside to poo. Crazy dogs.

Fearghus will be two in April and is housebroken, at least as far as OUR house is concerned. However, whenever we go to my dad's place Fearghus suddenly feels the need to mark his drapes, carpets, etc. I try to take him out more often and then yell no if I see him lift his leg. I'll use the deodorizer to clean the spot but it seems hopeless. And, this past weekend we went on a road trip and had to spend the night in a motel where, yes, you guessed it, he promptly lifted his leg and peed on the wall. Ugh!

I'm thinking of getting a belly band to use in those situations so that I don't have to constantly worry and watch him that closely so that I can relax a bit. Have you used them before? Or is there a better way to address this problem? We rarely have Fearghus any place other than our home, our car, etc so I guess these are all new places to him, but they're still inside so I'm confused as to why he's behaving this way.

Same with my two little boys. When we go to visit my husband's sister we use the belly bands. They even try to

pee through those! :devil: Our little girl, Sweet Pea, doesn't have that problem. She does all her marking outdoors. :)

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Archived