CairnTalk

Am I asking too much

Lexi

I'm new to this forum and find it very very helpful since I am a newbie at having dog. Never had one before. I now have a 3 month old Cairn Terrier named Lexi. The potty training is not going as well as I'd hoped. When I take Lexi out she is more interested in what is going on around her and trying to pick up and eat everything in sight instead of doing her duty. I then bring her in the house and not even 5 minutes later she pees in the house. I work at home and watch her constantly. She has a play yard up in my office where she is next to me all day long. I take her out often and most times she won't go outside but will go inside. I clean it up right away always. I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't try crate training her instead, even though I'm home all day long. She does fine at night and very rarely, goes in her kennel. Am I asking too much since we've only been at it a month? At what age do they typically start understanding that they need to go outside? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much. :)

Twelve weeks is a bit early for solid dependability from a Cairn pup--you may be expecting a too much of your little one. Continue to take her out often and when she goes, really "clown it up" for her--lots of enthusiasm, jumping around, congratulations for a job well done, cooing and stroking. I know my neighbors must have thought I had lost my mind when I was housebreaking my little ones because of all of the noise and the "Good Girls", "good Pottys" etc. We use the command "potty" with ours and I can't tell you the number of times we have danced on the wet ground, cold ground, cheering on our little ones when the did it right. Yes Cairns are going to sniff everything, dawdle, snuff around, but eventually all that investigation will lead her to "her place" and she will squat and go and then you can begin your command performance as the most proud Cairn owner in the world. Eventually the dog will make the connection between the "Go Potty" and her job and you will be home free--maybe without the complete satisfaction of your nearest neighbors, but what the hey?

Welcome aboard :-)

Agree that at only 12 weeks I think you are indeed asking a lot from a wee (pun intended) baby. I think a crate will help immensely.

As for what age -- I pay no attention. They will get it after I give them more opportunities to be successful than opportunities to fail. If they are not 95% reliable by the time they are a year or so, I would get serious. Most are pretty darned reliable (all things considered) by 4-6 months.

I am probably alone in this, but I don't consider "housebroken" a thing that is known, like 2+2 or being able to tie a shoe. I consider it a habit, like brushing teeth before bed, or exercising in the morning. (Maybe a little stronger habit than that, but conceptually similar - maybe more like looking both ways before crossing a road.) Whether that is true or not is less important to me than the freedom (and forgiveness) it allows me to weather the ups and downs of training the little devils to go outside. It can be done; it will be done; it always takes longer than we want; it's never 100%. Good luck!

p.s. Go ahead and buy a gallon of Nature's Miracle or similar enzyme cleaner for accidents. Yes, the gallon. :P

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I also used a crate and lots of praise. Kelly was really reliable by 4 months but would still have accidents. You have to look at it like they are a baby. When you take her out only give her 5 minutes if she doesn't go put her in her crate for at least 20 minutes then repeat if she doesn't go back in the crate. If she does go potty lots of praise and petting and maybe a little walk around the yard. This helps to teach them to go fast and helps a lot when it is cold or raining but it can be trying when you first start doing it. Do not give her more than 5 minutes to potty. Cairns are very smart and will pick up on this quickly, but will still have accidents.

Good luck and keep us posted. She sure is a cutie.

As everyone has already stated, it takes time and patience. When Layla was this age it was out every hour - especially after eating and playing as then it was immediate. I know it's disheartening but it is what it is. I didn't discourage Layla from sniffing and plodding around - I felt she needed to learn her property lines and she would go when she needed to (hubby would say "can't force a poop.") Eventually around 5 to 6 months they will catch on and between now and then this is where you will have to learn to be patient. We've all been through what you are going thru and come out the other end successully. Keep at it and you will be rewarded. Good luck!

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Archived