CairnTalk

Pippin marking?

PeppersMom

I have an 8 month old and an 8 year old Cairns...t I got the puppy at 12 weeks...am home off and on through out the day. He gets let out a lot. I started giving him freedom the last month and am finding urine accidents around the house. I thought I would try a belly band the last couple of days to see when he goes. He is peeing in it very soon after being let out...30-45 minutes...I have had to crawl around my house on my hands and knees to find the spots he went...i treated with enzyme..etc. This one doesn't lift his leg, but could he be marking by squatting? I find it hard to believe he can't hold it longer than that..he had kept his crate dry over night for months...I will go back to tether and confining more...he gets crated when no one is home...I am surprised he isn't housebroken by now....would appreciate any advice!

I personally would not even consider giving an eight month old dog free rein, so your plan to go back to tether and crate would be my approach too. My belief is that marking (which it may well be) has little or nothing to do with housebreaking. Peeing might be sort of the swiss army knife of dog communication :P

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Marking is definitely a possibility, but have you also considered taking him to the vet to ensure it's not a bladder infection?

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

WE have been back on remedial crate and tether for a week...no sign of a squat but last night my daughter left him in her room for a couple of minutes and when she came back he had peed near her door. He had been out maybe an hour and a half earlier. I'm wondering if his bladder is just underdeveloped..our older dog never goes in her room so that should not have been a mark....any thoughts?

Archived