CairnTalk

Dirty Puppy

kavon

After reading through these threads in regards to bathing, I've decided that I just can't wait the 6/8 weeks that everyone seems to do. I tried the babywipe thing as well, -P U Bella is starting to smell bad. She rolls around outside after rain, etc. She is just an active little puppy.

Would it hurt her to have a bath every week as long as it doesn't affect here skin?

Also, I've noticed that her belly isnt pink like it used to be (she is now 11 weeks) Is this dirt build up, because I cant seem to get it clean IE: back to pink-is it a normal change. It's now a darker shade.

Bella thanks you for the advice...

Calli's skin and belly are now are darker almost greyish color. The last time he tummy was really pink it turned out to be irritated. She was itching terribly and I didn't want to give her a bath - I was afraid I would irritate her more. Well - she rolled in the mud and it wouldn't come off with just water so I used a doggy bath bar. After her bath it turned to the darker greyish color and her itching stopped. Wo whatever was irritating need to be washed off - she NEEDED a bath.

Calli has had to have a bunch of baths - due to rolling in poisin ivy, a kennel stay (pee yew) and some real mud messes. She has been fine. I would use a shampoo that is oatmeal based or for sensitive skin - nothing too perfumey. But at the same time - make sure you DO like the scent.

Could be that your cairn has an oilier skin type... which makes her "smell" sooner than the dogs with a drier skin type.

I don't know if I would bathe my dogs every week. That sounds like alot of baths and it might affect her skin. We used regular dog shampoo on our dogs until Scout developed a skin rash by her tail. She ended up with a hot spot. The vet gave her some pills and told us to change her food back to Iams. I didn't want to change her food back, since I was convinced that Canadie (sp?) was not the problem. I used a soap for itchy skin, and rinsed and rinsed, and rinsed. The itching stopped and her hot spot healed. I don't know if it was the cortisone pills she was given, or the soap that helped, but I am going to use this soap for now on.

I try not to give baths very often, but I will when they start to smell. I think I will give both of them a bath before it gets too cold outside..which might be today!

I used to bathe Zoe every week until I found out that it was drying her coat out, even with an Oatmeal shampoo. Then I stopped bathing her, just wiping her down with a washcloth or baby wipe. I do the same with Tucker, except that he's still having to have the sulphur bath each week until his next vet visit for his flaky skin. However, I personally do not find his "scent" unpleasant. Neither does my husband. To us, they don't have that typical "dog" smell. It's very earthy and just another reason why I think Cairns are wonderful! :thumbsup:

Thela

Archived