CairnTalk

Potty training Merlin

Merlin

I have just recieved this addorable pup. He is at 7 months which he spent with a couple that did not work with him as they should have as he was little. He's a give back as the breeder stated. We're not off to a really good start with him. I have only had him for a week and he's been to the vet for round worms, tape worms and a slight ear infection. I thought the breeder was to have all of this under control. I have the worms under control, but the little guy is urinating all over my home. I consistenly take him outside after he eats and drinks and when I think he is telling me when he wants out. I take him outside after being in his cage for a long period of time and he does fine. When I bring him back in he will wait until my back is turned and he will urinate. This little guy has been a hand full and I would like to get him going in the right direction. Is there hope? I have tryed to post a picture of him, but the is not allowing me to do so.

Welcome to Cairn Talk. I think I see your problem.

... he will wait until my back is turned ...

Never turn your back. And yes, I'm serious. When seriously housetraining a pup, and *especially* when re-training or doing remedial housetraining, one thing I found is that you will (eventually) be able to read even the most subtle sign that the thought has entered his brain, and you will be able to whisk him outside. (Don't feel bad if he is whisked outside for the sin of trying to sit down ... lord knows I've done that quite a few times). When really working with a puppy I can literally get slightly dizzy from tracking it so relentlessly. But it does pay off.

After a fair number of puppies I will admit I've gotten pretty relaxed about the whole process. To me housebreaking is *not* knowledge, it's just a physical habit. So I don't sweat the occasional lapses or backslides. I just work to ensure that eventually, and consistently, more happen outside than inside. Eventually it seems to click as a habit. I think of it like developing an exercise or eating habit or whatever: I already "know" what I'm supposed to do, but it takes quite a bit of effort to make it happen for about three weeks; then it suddenly is just that thing that I do.

Regarding attaching images - after browsing the support subforum please open a new topic describing exactly what happens (steps and resulting messages) when you upload or link to a photo and we'll help figure it out. Pictures are like gold around here :P

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I have been really lucky with Kelly. She has been quick to learn the potty outside. There was many mistakes though. She now will do whatever it takes to get my attention, jumping,barking scratching at the door even pulled on my pants legs once then she ran to the door.

The thing to remember is they are young and you wouldn't expect a toddler that had never been trained to know what to do, and it takes time for them to learn, and patience a lot of patience. If you can't watch his every move crate him. Try to keep mistakes from happening as much as possible but if one happens don't get upset or discouraged. There were days Kelly would have 3 mistakes in the house. There is hope and with do diligence, patience, love and understanding he will get eventually.

I hope you can figure out the photo issue soon, as Brad said pictures are like gold around here!

We adopted Eddie at 8 months, and the first few days were awful. No matter how often we took him outside he seemed to pee 15 minutes after coming back in the house. One day he had 10 accidents in the house. This went on for several days before the accidents became less frequent. I confess I was super stressed about it wondering if he was ever going to "get it". Looking back I think the frequency of his accidents was probably due to his stress level. The poor little guy had been taken out of the only home he had ever known and was probably a bit overwhelmed. Patience and persistence paid off...I'm happy (and relieved!) to say that Eddie is now house trained. He nows go to the door and paces, sometimes hits a bell with his nose, which we are trying to encourage. A few weeks ago he urinated on our bed twice and a couch once which had me spinning as he hadn't had any accidents in weeks and to do it on the furniture was disgusting. But, I think the strange behaviour might have been due to a bout of kennel cough and/or a reaction his medication (the vet didn't think there was a connection but the three accidents all happened within days, all were out of character and there hasn't been any similar situations since).

I recommend taking him out on a leash every 30 minutes, instruct him to do his business and give LOTS of praise (maybe even a treat?) when he does. With patience and persistence I'm sure he'll be telling you in no time.

Good luck!

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

It will take some time. Seeing as that you just got him (and he is 7 months old) and he has been in several homes now, he may be fearful or somewhat confused. Give it time. Like Brad says, don't turn your back on him. Keep a lot of vinegar on hand for the cleanups-it will get better over time. Good luck and enjoy your little bundle!!

Archived