CairnTalk

For those that have had both Cairns and Westies...

Autumn & Lola

First of all, a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

We *might* be getting a 2.5 year old Westie. Neither my husband or I have had one before. It's a long story, but the poor girl needs a home. We want to find out a bit more about her first. Details are sketchy at the moment. We wanted to get a dog in the future, not exactly sure we wanted to take this step now (we just got married in October and wanted some "alone time") ..But, like I said, this girl needs a home and we are just two big softies!

Anyhoo, I know Westies are like "cousins" to Cairns and share a similar build and temperment, but what else can you tell me if you've had both? What are their similarities and differences? I am trying to find out as much as I can about Westies before hubby and I have a serious talk!

Thanks everyone!

Autumn

Well...I for one fit this bill having had a Westie prior to our Cairn Layla. Her name was Molly and we couldn't have asked for a better companion. Insofar as any differences, we see none in their temperment or basic physical features. Mind you each dog has a different personality and Layla is the energizer bunny whereas our Westie was more laid back and hardly barked. Unfortunately, our Westie had terrible allergies which eventually resulted in her passing away. Westies are known for their skin allergies - although you might be lucky - at 2 1/2 years old one would hope that if she has a propensity it would have manifested itself by now. It would be advisable to read up on this particular breed and get your questions ready prior to the interview. Personally if I could have another Westie - I wouldn't hesitate a second. Good luck and please keep us posted on your journey as I for one would be very interested. Of course, if you do get her, pictures would be a must.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Hi Autumn, I also had a westie and cairn at the same time and they are very similar. Personally I feel the cairn has a higher level of energy - not by much but still higher. I have heard also the westie is prone to skin allergies but in our case she was never bothered with allergies. Casey was bossy and insisted on being the queen of the house and our cairn gave her the throne without a fight. With multi dogs in the house, I think you usually have one who is alpha. I think you have to do your homework, find out what her problems are and make your decision based on whether you feel you can handle them. I love the westie breed, they are beautiful little dogs with so much love to give and would not hesitate in having another. Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

I used to love listening to the sonorous voice of Roger Caras announcing the breeds at Westminster. I only know of Westies from the many we meet at earthdog tests, but this sentence from his script (paraphrased from memory) seems like it probably rings true:

...anyone sharing a home with a West Highland White Terrier will be reminded of their good fortune at regular intervals...

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I've never had the pleasure of being owned by a Westie but those I've met have been lovely dogs. One male Westie served as a therapy dog here at the hospital and he was one of the sweetest, most well-trained and well-mannered dogs I've ever met . . . sort of like a Cairn with more developed "people skills". ;) Same for those we've met at the dog park.

I have heard Westies being called White Cairns. Did a google and found this.

The West Highland White Terrier originates from Poltalloch, Scotland and was once called the Poltalloch Terrier and later was called the Roseneath Terrier, named after the Duke of Argyll’s estate. The breed came about in the mid 19th century when a Scottish breeder of the Cairn Terrier whelped some white pups in his litters. Those pups were selected and bred to obtain the West Highland White Terrier, which is simply a white Cairn. The West Highland was first shown in the USA in 1906 and first recognized by the AKC in 1908. In 1909 the breeds name was changed from the Roseneath Terrier to the West Highland White Terrier. Like the Cairn, the Westie was originally bred for controlling the population of rats, fox, badger, otter and other vermin.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Hi Autumn! I have friends who have Westies but to me it seems common that they have health problems such as allergies, heart defects etc and in the majority of cases because of that people have then had Cairns as they tend to be healthier!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Thank you all very much for your replies. I did quite a bit of research and hubby and I had a long talk and we decided we wanted this dog. So, I am happy to say she is now sitting right next to me, having arrived just 3 hours ago! I will write a separate post and post pictures of her.

Thanks again everyone!

Autumn

Archived