CairnTalk

A drop in the bucket.....

Sam I Am

I was searching the web for Scotties and or Cairns (more rescue than from proper breeders) and came across one of many many ads that make by blood boil! But one in particular... a beautiful pure bred Scottie that is due to whelp in 4 weeks on sale for $500 because her current owners are going away on a holiday. They claim she is bred to another purebred Scottie. All I can think of is that this is a puppy mill breeder and no doubt another puppy mill will jump at the chance of getting this little girl. Part of me so wants to go down to Calgary and get her, but I also know that whelping out a Scottie can cost a lot of money as they tend to have issues giving birth, plus my DH and I are both retired now and I also realize that having puppies from an unknown source can also cost a fortune as there could be a lot of health issues cropping up for both the mother and her pups. And of course Scotties have so many nasty inherent diseases now that getting a dog from an unknown source is a real risk. What to do what to? I know you cant save the world but a wee dogs life is at stake... and I know its only a drop in the bucket but...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I think the present owners need their heads examining - fancy booking a holiday when they have a dog due to whelp! I would steer clear because if the stud was another Scottie I do not think they would be offering this dog at all as they are going to loose money on the pups.

I found on a UK site that advertises Cairns that someone wanted £500 [not sure what in dollars] for a 2 and half year old bitch that they stated had one litter but they would like the next owner to allow her another litter! I thought that was an invitation to a puppy farmer. A Cairn pup would could cost £500 so why they want that for an older dog not sure and they did not say why they wanted rid of her. Another advert was for a bitch that was been retired by a breeder [i assume] as she had had 2 litters and they wanted £250 for her. My Holly was retired by breeder and I did not pay anything like that and she was not advertised either - I got her through the breed club knowledge.

On the same site I also found someone who wanted a new home for their two Cairns for free so I referred them to our Cairn Terrier Relief Fund and they were rehomed quickly through them.

So like you I find adverts that make me angry but was glad to have helped with the the last one.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

:( It's hard to know what to do in these situations. One part of you doesn't want to encourage these people by giving them your money and potentially signing up for a tricky litter, the other part wants to help or possibly save this one particular dog.

I (and the rescue I volunteered with until they moved last month :( ) have been in similar positions with cats and dogs in high kill shelters/pet shops/back yard breeders. Not fun.

I guess you have to do what you feel is right. You're right, you can't save them all. You have to do what you know you can and know where to draw the line.

Tough spot for sure.

I contacted the breeder (by e mail) which we bought our Scottie from. She lives in Calgary and is an international judge and was the president for the Canadian Scottish Terrier Club. I havent heard back but I hope she can rally some of the Scottie rescue crew down there and find a good home for this girl.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

i know it is unlikely this is possible, but i dream that in a situation like this one could band together with a number of friends and share the costs as well as each have a puppy. it is all too much for you to do on your own, but if you could find a way to drag close-by friends or relatives into it... it's a dream, i know.

I am thrilled... the Scottie judge as I mentioned in my other post sent an e mail this morning. Even though she is outside of Canada she is going to contact the Scottie rescue folks in Calgary and see if they can buy this wee girl. I told her we would adopt and pay what ever was paid for the mother after she had her puppies .I just hope they are in time. Some low life puppy mill operation would be thrilled to nab a pregnant Scottie for $500! Grrrrrrrrr.

And yes PK I am so there with you. Scotties are wonderful dogs and are totally related to Cairns.

Archived