CairnTalk

'come back!'

my dog, Misha, is almost nine months old now... we've attended obedience training class-i didn't think we'd both survive- but he still won't come to me on command.... i can't let him outside unless he's on a leash, and this is aggravating, both to him and to me....

what can i do?

Sounds like Berkeley! I can finally get him to come inside from the backyard by bribing him with a treat. I yell "come inside, want a treat?" and he comes running. Recently he's gotten away from me a couple of times and run out the front door. Treats don't work. Backing the car out and opening the door worked a couple of times - he loves to ride in the car. Other times, I've had the whole neighborhood chasing him down. When I go in the front yard to garden I put him on a 25-30 ft lead so he can run around but doesn't get out of the yard. The trainer from our puppy class said do that every time he's in the front yard and he'll learn his limits. We'll see - I think the lure of playing with the dog down the street is too powerful!

• 4 weeks later...

My cairn is now 6 months old, been through puppy class and is almost done with obedience class and still won't come to me when I call her. I agree that the treats do help sometimes but not all the time. I have also been told to get the dog to chase you and that can help. Then praise a lot. It is frustrating. Does anyone else have some suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

:)

These responses are small comfort. It seems that the only way to get your Cairn to come to you on command is to move to a small island. Its amazing how our Cairn piccolo seems to know when there is a reward (bribe) involved. Still she only comes inside from the back yard if she is in the mood. She is inclined to just sit a safe distance from the door and stare at you. One of us has to sneak around the other way and then she will come in to continue her "escape" from capture.

Still the best pets ever.

:? I too, have the "Come back" problem. Fi learned it well in obedience class but it doesn't work when a squirrel is involved! My dog loves ice from our ice dispenser. We hold the door open and let the ice hit the class. Lo and behold she runs in! Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

my 10 mo. female cairn absolutely will not listen when other dogs, people, or squirrels,etc are involved. we have been to puppy obedience and soon to reg. obedience. we have had terribly cold weather and she will not come in all nite. Treats mean nothing to her as she is luke warm to food and treats. She wants to play all the time. I am wondering if I got another dog that was obedient and trained, could this help me with my puppy. She is also not lovable and does not want to be held. She has bonded and loves when she sleeps with me but just to sit or be petted, she has no desire.

If you will play with her until she is tired, she will let you cuddle and love her. My Cairn is the same way and is six months old. They are very, curious little puppys and will ignore you when they are curious about something else, odd little ducks but very precious.

Posey

We also had a problem with our 8 month old Cairn who is very stubborn about coming to us when called. We allow him free reign of our fenced yard (he dug under and got out once--terrifying for me!). He loves to play both inside and out and we simply cannot supervise him every minute he's running around out back. When we can't get him to come in, we squeak one of his loud toys just inside the open door and he ususally comes running. Treats don't always work, but so far his favorite squeaky toys have. I recommend playing with the your puppy for a few moments after he comes and praising him too--otherwise he'll learn it's just another bribe!

Hope this works for you too.

My little "Mac" (Angus McTavish) Cairn has a large fenced in yard where he spends half of his life. When I call him or clap my hands he comes immediately. When I have to go to a store I tell him "I have to go to the store Mac." and he immediatly goes into the kitchen where I keep a large open cage for him. He will go straight into the cage and sit there till I come back even though the cage door is always open. I did not teach him to do this.

When I take him for a walk I use a long leash, about 25 ft, he loves to explore but when I gently pull on the leash he comes right back to the sidewalk. Sounds great, doesn't it?

Several times he got out when someone else opened the gate. Out in the open without a leash he's a different dog. He's free and he knows it. I call him but he ignores the call, I clap my hands and he ignores that too.

I have a bum leg so I can't chase him very well so usually some kids will catch him for me. He loves kids.

These dogs are very smart but at times I think my little buddy is too smart but I love him just the same.

Just think, what would life be like without a Cairn Terrier?

Chet

• 2 weeks later...

I am a new cairn ownee, and have studied several sites on cairn behavior ( many in fact, )and all say the same thing regarding this issue. never never never let your cairn off the leash!!!! they will not come back until tired or hungry, and ready to be caught. my beautiful chloe is dead because she darted out the door when my guard was down. off like a shot and laughing at my slowness didnt stop until she reached the middle of the road. she always came when called in the past. only takes on ere. if .you have had more than one escape considder yourself lucky, and do all you can to prevent the heartbreak I feel today. bury chicken wire and attach to fence with wire bury at least 4-6 inches. they can climb chain link, and will use objects to stand on in order to jump over. good luck

t j leichner do you have a new Cairn now? Accep my sympathy on the loss of your little Cairn Terrier puppy. If you have a new one may you have it for many years.

Posey

I agree with everyone else, bribing gets him in the house or he loves to get in the car. In the yard or on walks he has to be on a leash. These are very smart dogs, don't underestimate their smarts or tenacity.

wow, in reading all of these return issues I feel very fortunate. My 7 month old Cairn puppy returns 99% of the time. I think it helped to raise him around my 8 year old German Shepard who is my velcro dog. The shepard always listens to commands and my Cairn is his shadow, so he learned to go with the gang. Also, in all my reading I remember learing to always make "come" a pleasurable experience. If it ever becomes a negative, i.e. stop the play, be spanked, put to bed, etc. they will associate it with a bad thing. I am very strict with my dogs and expect good behavior "most" of the time. Maybe that helped? We live on 3 acres and I was so nervous about Brodie taking off, however he seems a little afraid of the dark and won't go too far away from me or the rest of the K-9 gang. Each personality is different I suspect...... best of luck to all Cairn terrier owners! :mrgreen:

Archived