CairnTalk

Is it possible to have 2 colours show through?

gabriellamichelle

I adopted Koda 6 months ago from the pound. Mom was a (Brindle/Black) Cairn for sure. (Mom got preggers and the owners dumped her because they didn't want to deal with the puppies). I have no clue what the other half of him is.

6.5 months

weighs: 12lbs

hieght: 11inchs

length: 14.5 inchs

Being it was the pound, I understand they can't say FOR SURE she was 100% Cairn.

In your opinion, does he look like any of your (full) Cairns? Is it possible to take both coat traits from the parents and the offspring to be a blend of them?

I know I need to get him trimmed badly! I'm not a fan of his feathers. (the darker he look, the younger he is 4m-6m)

Screenshot2011-11-25at34005PM.png

Screenshot2011-11-25at34000PM.pngScreenshot2011-11-25at33955PM.pngScreenshot2011-11-25at33948PM.png

I don't think he's a full cairn but he is a cutie and a keeper! Love the pictures!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. - Mark Twain

He's absolutely adorable, whatever he is! I definitely see the Cairn in him but I think it's mixed with something else. I have 2 dogs - a Cairn (Buffy) and a Silky Terrier/Shih Tzu mix (Ziggy). Koda looks like a combination of my two dogs - Buffy's body and ears and Ziggy's face. What kind of coat does Koda have - rough or soft?

The long black hairs on the face are left-over puppy coat. While we've had mostly red brindles, I've seen coloring not unlike Koda's on red Cairns. If you look at some of the red coat you can see that the hair turns pale toward the skin end of the hair shaft. I'm guessing that means that part of the coat is dead and as you replace it with vigorous brushing or even trying to tug a few hairs out from time to time it would replace with harsh coat that will go through a similar life cycle. Depending on the possible mix, I certainly wouldn't dare predict how the coat will turn out. He looks like a lovable toasted marshmallow to me - with a ready smile and clearly quite a bit of charm!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Looking at him, he is reminding me of a little bit of a red pomeranian. I think its the face...

Like Brad said, give a tug on a few hairs and see if they come out...

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Archived