CairnTalk

Locked out of the house

pindrop

Today started out just dandy! Early morning is the time the squirrels like to raid the bird feeders and although I think Layla is fast asleep, she can hear them scampering on the railing. She flies out of the bedroom and across the room and up onto the loveseat to get a better view of the "enemy". Meanwhile, I'm sitting here having my first cup wearing my PJ's and a robe. I shoo them away and decide she may need to go out to have her first morning pee as she has excited herself. As we head out the door, I realize as I shut it - IT"S STILL LOCKED (and hubby has gone hunting.) Now, first thing is - don't panic right? Disheveled hair, robe on and feeling foolish! Ok - time to think. Hidden key is around the back side of the porch and will need a ladder to climb the four feet to reach the balcony. Off to the garage I go - making sure I lock the gate behind me as I don't need a second disaster with Layla running free. Secure the ladder and drag it around the back side of the house with my floor-length robe inhibiting my leg movements. Somehow I spread the legs of the ladder and make sure it is flush with the ground and then climb up. How do I get my legs over the top of the railing wearing this robe - I can't take it off as all I have on is a short nightie and underwear -so I hoof the robe up and manage to balance myself at the top then hop on down to the porch - grab the hidden key (and hope that the last time we changed to door handle/lock we remembered to replace the new key in it's hiding place) - then I reverse the feat making it back down to the ground. I scurry back around to the front of the house (heart in my mouth and beating much faster from when I was minding my own business sipping my coffee) - insert key in door and voila! Now, as I write this, Layla still hasn't been outside and is back up on the back of the loveseat - sleeping. Meanwhile I'm sitting here - telling you my story and waiting for my heart to resume it's natural beat. What a start to a day!

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

So much for that relaxing cup of coffee, eh? Thanks for the morning smile (as I drink my coffee watching my Cairns peacefully sleeping on the couch).

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Sorry, but you gave me a good chuckle here. I can visualize you going through the steps to retrieve the key. Why is it these things never happen when the husband is home?? I did something similar last year letting Bailey outside I kind of slammed the slider door and the security bar came down hard and locked me out. Shear panic flooded my emotions because my husband was not home, but I remembered I left the slider door open off the kitchen...phewww

GIGGLING! Sorry I can't help it! The pictures I have in my head right now! It makes me feel so much better to know that I am not the only person in the world to do something crazy and end up doing something crazier (while wearing almost nothing) just to get back in the house. LOL I hope it makes you feel better to know that at least once a year something like this happens to me.

You have brightened my evening.

About 4 years ago, I went out to crank my car to let it warm while I got ready for work(I was running late and it was very,very cold and dark outside) I crank the car and shut the door yep you guessed it. I locked my keys in the car and guess what else I had also locked myself out of the house. I felt so stupid that day. What are the odds of locking yourself out of the house and locking your house key in the car all on the same morning. Thank God Eric was in bed asleep that morning. Took forever to wake him up though. I was beating on the side of our mobile home wearing only my coat and house shoes. I was glad it was dark!

As there was no way but up for the rest of the day - that is exactly how it worked out. Glad you all had a giggle and could visualize the situation. No videos were posted on the internet - so I guess I got out lucky on this one.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

I just saw this post and it gave me a much-needed laugh. I've been in similar situations myself so I can relate. Thank heavens you got back in safely and didn't end up hanging from the balcony in your robe!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Same sort of situation for me a few years ago, pre-Sassy.

Live in an upper level condo. 4:30 am taking Ginger for a walk. Close door and realize that I don't have my key and it is cold out. Continue with walk as that still needs to be done. While doing that I see downstairs neighbor, who has a spare, driving down the street on the way to work. But thank God that her husband is awake and is willing to answer the door at 4:45 am.

Ever since that day, the dog collar has included a door key along with the tags and has been used more than once.

The hard part is getting the dog to hold still while trying to put the key in the lock. :lol:

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

My Angus is only five and a half months old but already he has unlocked the Jeep doors - I saw the rear lights flashing as I came back from leaving him about two minutes. AND he has locked the doors locking himselfand the keys in and me out! Luckily a friend I was visitng got the door unlocked for me. I don't know what lesson Angus learned but I have learned to keep the keys with me at all times!

Archived