CairnTalk

Daisy can't go a whole night without a wee - 16 months old

Jane2212

I have a 16 month old Cairn who I have owned since she was 10 weeks old (I also have a 3 year old and 8 year old Cairn). Though she was practically house-trained by about 8 months old, I'm still finding that she can't go a whole night without a wee. We know it's her as we've seen her ! Even after she was house trained I kept the wee wee pads down because I had a 12 year old Cairn who had kidney problems and she used the pads. However, my 12 year old died in August and I had to keep the pads down because Daisy keeps using them. We let the girls out at 11.30pm for a final wee and I get up at 5am and let them out again - but six days out of seven there's already a wee. I told my Vet about this tonight when I took one of the others for her vacs and he looked quite worried and said 'bring her in'. Then he said 'take the water bowl away at 11pm and then see if she wees'. Well, first of all I'm worried about taking the water away when the other two dogs may want a drink urgently, and also now I am worried sick after seeing the vet's face when I told him she couldn't hold a wee all night. Any ideas ? It has popped into my mind that she isn't actually doing a wee at 11.30pm but playing around in the garden. I also wondered if it's just become a habit to see the pads there and have to wee on one of them. Can anyone re-assure me ? I'm already getting obsessed with following her around watching her play, eat and drink to see if she's ok !!!!!!!!

Jane

Daisy, Gaby, Jess

My bet is on habit. There are also lots of medical possibilities of course, but habits can be really strong and she's essentially been trained to pee on that pad. She may purposefully hold it while outside, thinking she's supposed to go on the pad.

The process of retraining her may take much longer than you think it should. Be patient. Persistent, consistent, but patient.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I'm not sure exactly what I would do either but perhaps what might be best is to take her out last thing at night but make sure she does do a wee. Then remove the pad for the night and put her in a crate. If the crate is small enough only for her to turn around in and stretch out somewhat, it's unlikely she will soil her bed. Another thing is I would also remove the water dish after 8:30 p.m. - the dogs will not dehydrate for 10 hours. Hope whatever you choose to do will have good results.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

I can reassure you that Cairns prefer to "go" where there is lots of previous smells and if you get your young one habituated to a spot or two outside she will use it regularly but you might have to take her out on a leash to make sure she goes on your command--once she is voided, she should be able to last the night. It is important that you remove as much of the smells, preferably all of the smells in your home. I agree with taking the water away early even tho it may seem cruel to the other dogs, it isn't really--they have no idea why it isn't available. Once the pup gets in the habit of going outside you are on your way to a permanent "cure" for this annoyance.

Archived