CairnTalk

? Strip coat with winter coming

Karan

I've just adopted a 2 y.o. Female who was kicked out of a puppy mill in June and left at a local store. A vet took her in, spayed her (she's had a litter), gave her shots, etc. A young couple adopted her from the vet but they kept her in a crate all day while they worked ... And decided to find someone who would pay more attention to her. Here I am. She's my 4th cairn. I want to strip her coat. Winter is coming; here in NC we get some snow and ice and cold spells. Should I wait until next spring to do it? Will she be too cold w/o a full coat? In advance, thanks!

I just stripped mine about half down and I think we get colder weather than you guys. I would have done more but just ran out of time. You probably won't get it too bad for a few months and that would give your dog time to grow the coat out some. How about a cute little sweater in case she gets chilly?

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I'm farther north (across the border) than you and I had Jagger stripped a month ago. Eddie really needs it but I think I'm going to wait until spring. This will be his first winter and don't want him too chilly. Although it will be a challenge keeping those snowballs off his hind legs and belly!

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

• 1 month later...

I always strip my dogs throughout the winter and have clients come in to have it done as well. My dogs typically aren't outside very long on the very cold days so I've never had an issue with it. I actually prefer it asit tends to cut down on the mess of having snow tracked in and the dogs being damp from the snowpiles

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

Archived