CairnTalk

Newbie Needs Help

kavon

Guest posting as: CarCarDawn_*

Hi! I can totally relate to your housetraining woes - - when I first got Riley I thought - - "what have I done????!!!" - - it takes a lot of consistency, diligence and patience to get through the first few months.

I would suggest feeding your pup only 3 times a day - - both a dry and wet food combined and no more feedings after 6 in the evening. Take the dog out after every feeding and playtime - - as much as you possibly can to get Bella used to the idea of eliminating outside. As far as Bella consuming her waste - - I never had this problem with Riley - - if you can - - clean up the waste immediately - - and spray her crate and other areas with "Natures Miracle" - - this worked so well for us!

The biting issue takes time - - I used to hold Riley on his back saying "NO NO NO" with my hand over his mouth every time he bit one of us - - also make sure you have a lot of chewie stuff to take care of the teething problem. Letting Bella know who the dominant one is can be a long process but - - - in the end you have a most enjoyable, loving companion - - it just seems like forever getting there!! Good luck!!

I also remember Madison having accidents in her crate too. It was frustrating but I think you're on the right track. I'd feed her supper around 5 if that's possible and take the water away around 6 or so (unless it's hot or she's panting alot)

Believe it or not, they eventually understand what they're supposed to do. It's just hard when they're little. Their bladders cannot hold much and they have little control.

I never had the problem either of stool eating but if you go into search on this forum, I remember some earlier posts on that subject with advice.

Good Luck and hang in there. They definately are worth a couple months of hell. :halo:

I think you have been given some great advice here. My puppy does not bite or nip, so I can't help you there. She DID eat other dogs poop! My vet said to sprinkle meat tenderizer on her food. This was before we knew if she was eating her own poop or other dogs poop. I have also heard of putting tenderizer on cats food if your puppy tried to go into the litter box (my 2 year old did this).

Enjoy your new puppy! I know they are lots of work, but so worth it!!

kavon, Congrats on your new baby, she's adorable! I have a new baby too, 8wks, male, Aidan. I have him in a small crate but I also hve big phone books stacked up in the back half ( I knew those books were good for something!) This only gives him enough room for himself and couple of small toys. If they have enough room to decide, hmmmm, this side is for me and THIS side is for my bathroom ; they have too much room. (Untill they are trained of course) I feed Aidan, @6am,12noon,4pm and then @8pm. These are before I go to work, my lunch,after work and late enough so he will sleep longer at night. (HE goes to bed about 9:30-10pm, when I do and sleeps till3:am; we go "outside" I put him back in his crate and say night night, he sleeps till 6am)This works well for me and him. That is also the routine I used with Brodie (my 15month old) and it worked well with him also. I never fed at night, they need to learn that night is for sleep.(that's my idea, anyway. ) When I get up in the am, first thing I do is PICK UP the pup and carry him outside saying "outside"(that is our word for lets go pee or poop) praise WELL when they go. If they do not, back to the crate for a few mins , then try whole routine again. each time I come home My first priority is to carry pup outside to give him the oppertunity to "BE GOOD" They are very smart dogs. THey just have to understand what you want from them. good luck , enjoy your new family member! :thumbsup:

Hi again! I would always have my pup on a leash when outside of the house. These little guys will go after anything that moves and are so so quick!! We wouldn't want to see Bella get hurt - - her picture is so cute!!!!!!

Also - - as far as eliminating odors - - - I swear by Natures Miracle - - sold in almost every pet store - - you really have to douse the spots with it though to keep the dog from eliminating there again! Have fun!!!!!!!

When Wes first came home, we put him in the pen with newspaper. He never wanted to "go" outside, but chose a part of his pen- the same part all the time. And we always cleaned it.

Then he began playing with the newspaper, so we took it away. After we took it away, he began to squat so we slid the paper under his rump.

Dinnertime was horrible, while we were eating we had to watch Wes' behavior out of the corners of our eyes. Infrequently we weren't fast enough and he scarfed down his poop.

Once we kept him outside for a long time, and he pooped out there. That was a milestone! And we made a big fuss about it. But afterwards, he declined to poop or pee anywhere else but in that particular spot. We had to cut our daily excursions short so he could come back and make in the same spot.

Then We had to suddenly travel cross-country and we were afraid he'd never make again. He didn't for 6 hours! The weather was 100 degrees. We took him outside the motel for 1/2 hour and tried to convince him to "go already." Finally he peed. But he pooped on the way back on the hallway carpet.

He had only a few accidents in his crate- probably because he spent most of the early weeks in his pen.

Thanks again. I think maybe we'll get here a smaller crate. This is just like having kids all over again.

She is already starting to growl and BITE hard with the kids. I've got my hands full...

Also, how much sleep do they need at 10 weeks? Bella sleeps during the day when she

Hi kavon...

She is absolutely adorable...definately worth the trouble you're going through now.

I'd suggest that you might want to tire her out before bedtime.....maybe a long walk or some kind of exercise. They are just like kids and need naps/quiet time. But Cairns also need to vent their energy.

If she's out of her crate, she needs to be watched constantly until housebroken. That seems to be the "rule of thumb" but I think you already realize that.

As far as a fenced in yard and Cairns....please do not ever assume they will come when called no matter how much training they've had. If something gets their attention, they will forget all about you (I know, it hurts) and could put themselves in potential dangerous situations.

She looks alot like my Madison....a devil in disguise but a lover in the heart. Believe me, it's all worth the minus to get to the positive. Hang in there :thumbsup:

Guest amama207

Cairns are the best! BUT...they do own you for sure. We got Tassie 12 years ago and stuck to crate training. Fed her 3 times a day and no water at night. after eating...right in the rate for about 1/2 hour and then express out. If she "did her business we let her roam with us...if not, back in the crate agin for 1/2 hour and then OUT. She caught on very quickly (well...a few weeks)

At night we kept her in the crate and when we got up Tassie's first stop was outside...before breakfast...and then the ritual. When she finnally got the drift she was sleeping all night wherever she wanted and was never a problem. If we left her alone\, she was in her crate..until she was house broken..then no problem...she slept all the time we were out.

They are worth the effort.

Don't know what the nipping problem is...usually love people...however I do find that the Cairns establish a pecking order in the house..you would be the alfa male and your wife is probably next. Tassie will growel , occasionally, when the kids bug her or if she's sleeping and doesn't want to be disturbed...have the kids feed her more often maybe..it's all about the food sometimes!

good luck..she's adorable

Thanks for getting back to me. This place has helped a great deal. I give Bella a treat every time she makes good outside. Its to the point now she expects it :)

I'll try your advice; putting her back in crate for 20/30min if she doesnt go outside. I'll figure this puppy out...

Thanks All!!!

Cairns are the best!  BUT...they do own you for sure.  We got Tassie 12 years ago and stuck to crate training.  Fed her 3 times a day and no water at night.  after eating...right in the rate for about 1/2 hour and then express out.  If she "did her business we let her roam with us...if not, back in the crate agin for 1/2 hour and then OUT.  She caught on very quickly  (well...a few weeks)

At night we kept her in the crate and when we got up Tassie's first stop was outside...before breakfast...and then the ritual.  When she finnally got the drift she was sleeping all night wherever she wanted and was never a problem.  If we left her alone\, she was in her crate..until she was house broken..then no problem...she slept all the time we were out.

They are worth the effort.

Don't know what the nipping problem is...usually love people...however I do find that the Cairns establish a pecking order in the house..you would be the alfa male and your wife is probably next.  Tassie will growel , occasionally, when the kids bug her  or if she's sleeping and doesn't want to be disturbed...have the kids feed her more often maybe..it's all about the food sometimes!

good luck..she's adorable

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She is so cute! Also - Calli doesn't do her poopies until at least 4 hours after she has eaten (and, of course, first thing in the morning) - all dogs are different. In regards to my sister's dogs - one goes almost immediately after she eats - the other takes a good 4-5 hours. They are the same kind of dog, same breeder, same food . . . I know all the literature says that puppies go within a half hour of eating but Calli NEVER has gone that quickly!!

Hi Kavon,

Welcome to the Forum. No one has addressed the nipping issue so since I went through this with my now 11 month male Cairn Duffy, I will share my experiences and what I did to stop it. Puppies use their mouths for tactile stimulation and exploring, much like humans use their hands and fingers. That is why puppies put EVERYTHING in their mouths, including our fingers and toes. When Duffy would nip at our toes and our hands and fingers, we would yell very sternly, "no bite" and put him in his crate. To be honest, from the time he was 10 weeks old until he was about 6 months old, he spent alot of time having time outs in his crate from biting and nipping. One day it finally registered that this was not acceptable behaviour, and he stopped. Oh, occassionaly he will attempt to nip, but now all we have to say is "no bite, or crate" and he stops immediately. You may want to try this with Bella. Good luck!

MikeC

You have had a lot of replies to your potty training woes. I breezed through the responses and hope I am not repeating anyone.

If you haven't already tried it you may want to feed Bella in her crate or anywhere else she might be using as a potty area and shouldn't be. Dogs don't like to go where they sleep, which Bella right now doesn't seem to mind, and where they eat.

I had a lot of issues with Sophie in the beginning and it took all I had to stay positive with her. I was told not to scold, but instead catch them in the act, discreetly pick the pup up and set them outside and give them praise.

Unfortunately I don't think she responded so much to that as to my husbands yelling.

Now she rings a bell when she wants outside and we have zero problems. She is almost 2. By the way the bell is great because I bring it with me when we travel and she associates it where ever we are.

There is the bell now. Got to go.

After almost a week and a half Bella is going outside and outside only. She'll start to cry when it's time. She loves her new crate-Thank you all for the support. Now on to the tricks...

Archived