CairnTalk

Working Dog Class

Greg P

I have to say I was envious after Border Terrier friends returned from the National Specialty. The Working Dog class had about 20 entries in it. (The bitch class was big as well) My friend, who won this class said it was her proudest moment at the specialty (among many big successes). Her prize was a huge framed etched glass profile of a border terrier. A classy prize, for sure. The 4 placements of this class were a big deal.

What can we do to create a culture of honoring our Cairn terrier working dogs in specialties and other big shows?

By the way, most of the dogs in this class were champions and grand champions.

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

I'm guess it makes sense they mostly would be CHs - with a class dog entered in Working you are giving up any hope of championship points for your entry at that show. If I understand it (big if), for the CHs, GCh points are still possible.

I would love to see bigger Working classes though. A small change I'd like to see is allowing altered dogs to be entered in Working at independent specialties (like Veterans).

The culture thing is curious. I was off the board by the time the working dog/bitch classes were approved for Cairns and I was surprised to hear that rather than the rubber-stamping I'd expected the proposal to receive there was in fact vigorous debate and considerable opposition. Second-hand reporting, but I was told the objections seemed to align along general themes:

"You performance people already have too many awards - leave us our specialties"

"You'll have pets in the ring giving a poor representation of the breed"

"Trophies cost money"

Paraphrasing of course. And obviously not mine own opinions :P

Perhaps a Field Champion-equivalent title could be developed, which would set the stage for a Dual Champion title. I see these as complementary to conformation titles, not diminishing them.

Another way to chip away at the culture thing might be to get approval for what AKC calls special attractions. Just as a club can have a Parade of Veterans or a Rescue Parade, etc, a club could probably request a Parade of Working Dogs. A possible opportunity to highlight breed accomplishments along with working, performance, and companion event achievements. LIkewise it could showcase that the less showy of our dogs are also still brilliant companions and workers. And it would open the door to altered dogs, finished or not. If well presented, it could be educational, inspirational, and gently influential.

From our constitution:

The objects of the Club shall be:

(a) to encourage and promote quality in the pure-bred breeding of the old working terrier of Skye and the West Highlands now known as the Cairn Terrier and to do all possible to bring their natural qualities to perfection;

I think highlighting and encouraging those natural working qualities is within the purview of the club.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Excellent overview and thoughts, Brad.

I, too would like to see altered CH's be able to compete in the working dog classes. I like your idea about the parade, as well.

Perhaps it will take one sanctioned club to get excited about and take advantage of the Working classes. (It IS a way for the dog to be SEEN outside the 100+ BOB entries!)

Is it possible for a benefactor (or group of benefactors) to contribute a traveling trophy that has a "wow" factor for Working classes? I would be certainly open to making a contribution.

The whole issue between earthdog and conformation shouldn't be incompatible. The words in the constitution agree.

The culture can turn to celebrate the correct (champion), working dogs, but it will take an intentional effort.

Perhaps cousin Border Terriers can serve as an inspiration. There was as much buzz around the working dog placements as select placements.

Also, in chatting with JoAnn Frier-Murza, Borders are in the process of creating Field Champion Titles. This one I understand, involves live hunting.

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

• 1 month later...

Great discussion Greg. Keeping the character in our dogs of character is important. A working class should be the most important class, period!

PICT6722-1.jpg

BOLDOG TUFFIE, APA Weight Pull Level 3, IWPA WDS, IWPA Silver Medalist

17 pound Patterdale terrier and the love of my life!

• 4 months later...

Hillscreek thank you for posting the link. I am going to order that book!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Archived