CairnTalk

Immunizations

Scully'sMom

I'm sure we've discussed this before so I hope you'll forgive my forgetfulness.

I just made an appointment for Scully to bring her and her urine sample up to the vets tomorrow night. (I have to throw away the samples I so painstakingly gathered and start over) I just got two notices for shots she needs done. One is the Parvo five-in-one shot, Lyme vaccine (she had the other one a few months ago), Bordatella, and a fecal test. She had her rabies shot and heartworm test a few months back.

Does she need to have Bordatella since she isn't going to be going into a kennel? What do you think about a fecal test. I know rabies is a definite need, but is the Distemper a definite? My husband thinks the vet is doing too much testing with the fecal thing.

I really can't answer that because I'm in the same boat as you. I also know rabies is a definate yes(in CT you can't license your dog without it, not that I would ever take a chance)

I believe the fecal testing is for worms or other parasites. Unfortunately a negative finding is not always accurate. Some worms/parasites cannot be found in a stool sample if the worm/parasite is in the "wrong" cycle to be picked up. May have to have multiple samples given.

I've always gone by what my vet suggested and my 11 year old Cairn is healthy and she's had everything from Lyme to Heartguard.

It's so hard to read all the info, make a decison and trust your dogs caregiver but what else is there?

Archived