CairnTalk

Coursing Ability Test

bradl

AKC has a new event for all breeds (and mixed breeds), based on the Hound group's Lure Coursing. It's called the Coursing Ability Test (rules). We know from drag racing (similar to what the Jack Russell people do) that Cairns are very prey motivated and will chase a lure, so it stands to reason they would enjoy coursing. A dog show in Enumclaw Washington this weekend had a coursing test associated with it, put on by the good folks of the Cascade Coursing Club. Many of the Cairns at the show today went over and tried their paws and I think all of them qualified. Here's a typical run by local Cairn, Oz, owned by Betsy Peets.

Just a cameraphone video but gives you the sense of what they are doing. The course for dogs under 12" at the withers is 300 yards. The course is a motor-driven continuous loop string with three stout plastic bags tied to it. Basically all the Cairns took one look at any previous dog on the course and immediately started talking and wiggling, wanting to have a go at it. Dundee (our Cairn) qualified on his turn as did they all (to the best of my knowledge). We will be bringing the girls Echo and Stella with us to the show tomorrow so they can have a turn.

If you ever learn about one of these in your area, give it a try!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

You can almost hear the dogs chomping at the bit to help catch whatever that one is chasing. I imagine the dogs are having a great time at these events. Thanks for sharing the video.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Today there were two more tests (one in the morning and one in the afternoon). In the morning test Dundee qualified again. Echo qualified. Stella ran for a bit and apparently decided she'd gotten too far away from Peggy so she ran straight back to her. Not a qualifying performance, but I'm not going to fault a Cairn with a self-induced recall!

In the afternoon test, Dundee Q'd again for his CA title! Echo got a second Q. And Stella did a very similar run as in the morning. Apparently, unless cattle are involved, she loves to run but doesn't want to get too far from us!

It was a Cairn invasion of the test this weekend. From our local (Portland) group, Dundee, Oz, Padme, Tessa, and Dottie (Dundee's sister) all completed their CA titles during the weekend, while Happy the Cairn did well but wasn't entered the necessary third time.

We also were psyched to meet a Washington Cairn we didn't know previously - and I believe "Chopps" passed twice. Chopps was a nice dog and an "honorary Corgi" as he apparently lives with or at least hangs out with Corgis all the time. We're hoping to maybe see Chopps and his owner Sparky down to the Cairn picnic in a couple weeks.

It was a blast and so much fun to watch the dogs, big and small, run. I was surprised - stunned even - by the grace of the Corgi's at full tilt. A Standard Schnauzer was also unexpected poetry in motion. The sight hounds like you might expect were graceful and athletic, and of course the Dachshunds have drive and ambition far outmeasuring their shortness, although there is nevertheless some inescapable comedy involved :P

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought some pro photos from the weekend :)

11082050508.jpg

11082050511.jpg

11082151292.jpg

photos by Laurie Gregory - Jumoke Photography

ROFL AWESOME PICS

I NEED TO GET FONZY TO DO THIS OMGgggggggggggggggggggggg

11082152439.jpg

AHAHAHA <3

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

Oh, I like the sound of this. Packy has done lure coursing at Purina Farms at their Terrier Fun Days, but they make them wear muzzles, which completely distracted him until he got it off. I really want to get Kirby in one because he's a real speed demon and very prey driven.

Thanks for the great photos and fun video!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Oh my, no. Laurie Gregory stood out in the middle of that field for two straight (hot) days with a telephoto lens taking photos of virtually every dog that ran: http://www.jumoke.com/photo/?p=506

Naturally I'm biased toward pictures of my own dogs, even though one person described Echo as looking like a bad toupee escaping at high speed :P

Oh my, no. Laurie Gregory stood out in the middle of that field for two straight (hot) days with a telephoto lens taking photos of virtually every dog that ran: http://www.jumoke.com/photo/?p=506

Naturally I'm biased toward pictures of my own dogs, even though one person described Echo as looking like a bad toupee escaping at high speed :P

If you can get those photos of fonzy doing that... my grandma will pay big $$ :D

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

I doubt that Buffy would hold a candle to Echo or any of the others at this event but she's the gold medalist in the 10-yard squirrel-at-the-bird-feeder dash. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Archived