CairnTalk

Bichon Frise

KShep

Does anyone own one? I love this breed. I would really like to hear some feedback about temperament, health, etc. Gorgeous dogs!

Our niece has one and the dog seems even-tempered and well behaved. I wouldn't want one just because of all that fluffy white fur - seems that it would be high maintenance and wouldn't look very good after romps at the dog park. I like my dogs on the scruffy side. :P

One of my co workers has a Bichon and a crazy Terrorist. The Bichon Emma, is well tempered and loving... but clings. From a friend who as dog sat for her, Emma wants to sleep in bed next to you and will 'paw' you in the middle of the night to be stroked on her chest/belly. Junior her Terrorist, well I keep telling her that he will mellow out soon as he is 6, but we're still waiting. She made mention that if she were to get a 3rd dog it would be a Bichon rather than a Terrier.

OH Junior is a Yorkshire Terrier, but he is large around 20 lbs and is a crazy dog.... makes Mett &n Bratt look like perfect dogs...LOL

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Our niece has one and the dog seems even-tempered and well behaved. I wouldn't want one just because of all that fluffy white fur - seems that it would be high maintenance and wouldn't look very good after romps at the dog park. I like my dogs on the scruffy side. :P

I had a friend that had one and it was a clingy lap dog. Not that I have any thing against a lap dog I just don't want a dog that wants to be held all day. I am not much on the white fur either. I like my dogs on the scruffy side too.

Thanks Brad. Now I can really obsess! I just love dogs. Maybe one day :thumbsup: I love that everyone on here is so loyal to "their" breed. Lol. Cairns are the best!

I grew up with Bichons and my mom still has one. They are lap dogs, happiest sitting near or on their people. Some people consider this clingy and compared to a terrier, they definately are! She got them originally because they don't make her itch or sneeze. They don't need a lot of exercise and are pretty smart. Easy dog really. You don't have to groom them that often either if you like the wilder mop top look that we do. We would let them get moppy and when you couldn't see their eyes they would get shaved. The biggest thing is finding a reputible breeder because these pups have been overbreed and can be prone to lots of health issues.

Archived