CairnTalk

Digby's got a limp

newcairn

My baby has recently developed a slight limp and is favoring one of his front legs. It seems to be worst when he gets up from laying down/napping for a while. Then once he loosens up he seems to be ok. I have inspected him throughly, several times, putting pressure on all areas of his front legs and paws and he does not wince, or try to wriggle away at all-he just thinks I am giving him a rigorous massage.

My question to everyone is, has anyone ever had a Cairn pull something? Digby has a tendancy to take corners and stairs pretty quick at times and I am thinking this may have caused it. My wife and I can't think of what could have happened, especially since he is with one of at all times of the day. I was thinking about getting an x-ray done, but if it is a pull of some sort then an x-ray is useless. Just curious to know if anyone has ever come across something like this with your dog. Let me know. and thanks in advance.

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

Is his appetite okay? If it goes on for awhile I would definitely take him to the vet. I know that limping is a sign of Lyme Disease - but it goes along with loss of appetite - and I don't *think* the limping improves - as you were saying your little guy's does. And it definitely doesn't seem to hurt when you apply pressure. I would watch it to see if it improves in the next couple of days. But if he loses his appetite at all or it gets worse - I would take him in just to check it out. I would think that dogs could pull a muscle - I don't know how common it is but it must be possible!!! Good luck - I'm sorry I am not more help!

Hi! Riley had a limp that lasted a little more than a day -- he is quite the jumper - - constantly jumping off my bed and his favorite chair - - it could be no more than a slight sprain. I would watch him carefully - - it he continues to limp - - take him to the doctor. These little dogs are soooooooooo active all the time - - isn't unusual for them to hurt themselves once in a while!

I had that happen several times with my other Cairn. She would jump off chairs a lot and several times I took her to the vets and it was sprained from the jumping.

Good luck!

Emma has hurt her leg/foot running at the park twice - both times she was running flat out when she suddenly sat down and refused to take another step and had to be carried home. There was no whining which surprised me since she absolutely couldn't walk on that foot for a while. Recently, we think that she stepped on a bee, as we've seen many of them flying very low over the grass at the same park, and once again she had to be carried home - but in all cases these afflictions cleared up within hours. She was very stoic as well!

Duffy is a jumper too and when he was younger he would jump off of something that I considered pretty high for a dog of his size, and several times he would limp around for a awhile and then he was fine. Have you noticed if Digby is doing any jumping these days? That could explain it.

MikeC

Chewy has hurt himself jumping around and had a limp as well, we call him the clutz tho because he seems to always be tripping up the stairs or something. His limp only lasted a day or two if your pups lasts longer I would definetly get him checked

Thanks everyone, good to know I am not alone. It seems a little better today because I left hime penned most of the day (breaks my damn heart though, not to mention I miss having him by my side at all times). Anyway, he does jump quite often from beds, stairs etc. I will be much more careful of that in the future if this turns out to be a sprain or pull of some sort. To answer a question asked in an earlier post about his appetite, yes he is eating very well. In fact, today he ate more food than he ever has. That is the first thing I watch for, the appetite.

I will keep a close eye till the weekend, and if it does not clear up then I will get an x-ray. Keep your fingers crossed everyone and thanks again! :D

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

I know it is early yet, but I figured I would give an update. Seems he is getting better already, but I am still being really cautious, keeping him penned, and only soft play, no stairs etc. He is not limping anymore when he gets up from laying for a while, so he may be limbering up a bit. I should know for sure by the weekend.

Man, this was a real scare. :shy:

-Hoagland

Took him to the vet today for his last shot, and he looked him over. Said he sprained his front paw joint, where it connects to the leg itself. He said this is common among smaller breeds because they jump off of things and all the wieght comes down on that joint. So now I know, and he won't be jumping off anything again. He is already beginning to understand that I need to help him, he looks to me for a hand now.

Either way, the vet said we are doing the right thing by keeping him confined and we will continue it for another week or so. Phew! I am glad we made it through this one, we got scared. Digby should make a full recovery. Yipppeee! :D

-Hoagland

Thanks everyone, and a special thanks from Digby the super cairn-Woof!

-Hoagland

Archived