CairnTalk

Induced vomit

Rohnda

While getting ready to go for a morning hike with Luigi, he ran past me with my hair scrunchie (pony tail holder) in his mouth. I followed him into the bedroom and before I could take two steps in his direction he turned around and made gulping/swollowing noises. It was obvious that he didn't chew the elastic hair band that was covered in material up, he just swollowed it whole. We were concerned that if left in his system it would be possible that the elastic might cause great danger to his intestines.

I popped on line and it was suggested to give him 1 ounce of peroxide and that he should vomit up whatever he consumed pretty rapidly. So we did. Nothing happened. We waited around, he was anxious to go for a hike. We figured we'd just have a vet appointment in the afternoon if he didn't pass it. We were walking about 45 seconds, Luigi stopped, vomited up the scrunchie (whole) and continued on. That is the end of the story.

Do any of you have safe, home remedies that you have used on your Cairn when a possible vet visit might be in your future?

Peroxide is what we've used in the past when we needed to induce vomiting. It's pretty grosss when they start foaming at the mouth with it! Glad to hear that Luigi is okay.

Edited by kjwarnold
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Luigi - I am happy that you puked it up. Next time you get ready for a hike, don't worry about putting your hair in a pony tail - mom will comb you out after your hike. :P

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I've used the peroxide before, then had the dog move around to help induce the vomiting.

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

I was desperately concerned when my dog swallowed some of my meds, (capsules & pills). I immediately dosed him with peroxide and everything came up intact. I poked around through the sloppy, gooey mess with my hands & counted them in order to be sure I retrieved every single one. They were all intact & completely undigested, so I didn't have to worry that any were absorbed into his system. What a relief... Peroxide really works!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Glad to hear Luigi is doing better and kudos to you for quick reaction on finding how to induce vomiting.

Edited by Hawkeye

Glad to hear everything turned out Ok. The peroxide normally works very quickly. I've used a turky baster to get it down the dog before. I would have given a second dose if the first didn't work... but I have learned that you really want to give the Peroxide Outside! (envision German Shepherd and 5 pound box of dark chocolate... you get the picutre)

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Yes, peroxide definitely works! We had to give it to our Westie when he found a box of double chocolate swiss rolls in my husband's car (that his grandmother placed there and did NOT tell us about). We discovered 3 wrappers in the back seat and then realized what had happened. We called the vet and he said to induce vomiting with peroxide IMMEDIATELY because of the amount of chocolate he had consumed. Definitely do it outside!!!

Cracker has been playing with one of my hair scrunchies. Now you've got me wondering if that's safe or not! It's a huge one and he just likes to sling it around - he doesn't try to eat it or swallow it. But now I'm afraid that he might. Hmmm.... :confused1:

Thanks for the great advice - although I had read about it before, having not had to use it, I had forgotten all about it. Yes, outside would also be the key. I'm glad everything came up roses (well not actually roses - but it would have been funny to say "everything came up scrunchies." )

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

• 3 weeks later...

Peroxide is an old standby (fresh - it turns to water if left opened for a long time) and some vets still recommend it at times. Many vets are turning away from it these days however as they also sometimes see collateral damage such as chemical burns in the throat and esophagus. It is a fact that many people have used it without ill effects - Lord knows we've used it here a couple times - it's just in the interest in always reducing risk and maximizing outcomes, there are better ways available to vets. For the lay person, hydrogen peroxide is something available, much like any of a million folk remedies.

We recently had to induce vomiting in our nearly 16-year-old dog. The e-vet told us on the phone that peroxide would work but that because of what he'd eaten (congealed suet) a lot of it would come back up as a sort a viscous oil and they would worry about aspiration of the fluid so they recommended doing it under supervision (well, they always do :-) At the vet they used something called apomorphine which is administered via drops in the eye (no kidding!) - it works almost instantly. It does leave the dog fairly groggy afterward.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

The e-vet told us on the phone that peroxide would work...

Thanks for this info! What is an e-vet?confused1.gif

FEAR THE CAIRN!

• 9 years later...

Last night Katie found an acorn in the acorn free zone in our yard.

(Katie + acorn, the next day  = emergency vet).

We decide to try hydrogen peroxide as she had just swallowed it.

Followed the AKC guidelines: Steps to Take to Make a Dog Throw Up

3-percent hydrogen peroxide solution

Administer the proper amount: the suggested dosage is 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of the dog’s body weight by mouth, with a maximum dose of 3 tablespoons for dogs who weigh more than 45 pounds. But ask your veterinarian about the best dosage for your dog and only induce vomiting if your dog ate the substance within 2 hours.

Administer the dosage with a feeding syringe or turkey baster* and squirt it from the side by pulling back his lips and squirting between his back teeth. You can also squirt from the front into the back of your dog’s tongue or mouth. Be careful not to let your dog inhale the substance, as this can lead to aspiration. If your dog doesn’t vomit within 15 minutes, you can give him a second dose.

👍Worked like a charm! Although all were shaken by the drama.

Take away: keep a unopened bottle of 3% hydrogen Peroxide on hand along with a turkey baster or large liquids syringe and a print out of the AKC instructions or your vet's instructions..

Years ago, before google, one of our rescue Westies decided to chomp on some wild mushrooms. Our nurse neighbor gave me similar instructions and all was well. 

It is amazing what trouble these little beasties can get into! 

Cheers all!

*I did read of an alternative tactic:  Another tactic that Dr. Pittman finds useful is to soak a piece of bread with the measured dose of hydrogen peroxide and immediately feed it to the dog.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh yea.....my heart has stopped a couple times already due to cairns...and I expect it will happen again.  Over here it has been poison mushrooms, a wine cork, acorns (they all seem to get these, don't they?), part of a disgusting dead animal, and a tiny little hermit crab that certainly deserved better.  Oh, and it turns out daylilies are related to onions and toxic to dogs -- who knew? And also we learned they can ingest and poop out the most amazing things as well...crayons, and parts of socks, and sometimes god knows what...

Really, it's lucky they survive, and it is luckier that we survive them...

Sorry, Katie.  I know your mom and dad were really worried.  Try not to do this again, okay?

• Like 1