CairnTalk

Give me strength

mattoleriver

About 20 years ago I went up to the feed store and picked a small silver tabby out of a box holding three similar kittens. Through the years I have said several times that I wish I had grabbed all three kittens that were in that box. I've had a few cats but this one is really special and both the cat and I know it. She is my cat and no others need apply! She is a very headstrong and self-centered being. So, so special. Her name is Pushy.

The past couple years have really taken their toll on her. She no longer hunts in the woods all night and, in fact, rarely goes beyond the porch. She has lost most of the strength in her rear legs and now just claws her way up into my lap---YOW!!!

She has finally told me that she wants to go but she needs my help---damn! Now I feel sorry that I will be losing her after all these years and even worse that I will have to take an active role in helping her leave.

Give me strength.

George

Been through this and I know it's hard. But look at all the great years you've had and the wonderful memeories of a furry companion. Thinking of you guys...

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

George...first off I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved cat. I have just gone through the same thing with my dog last week. Don't think of it as a negative in helping her leave, but that you're helping her go to a better place without pain and suffering. You have had 20 years full of wonderful memories that will be with you forever. My heart goes out to you - it hurts a lot.

Went through this with my 8yr. old cairn who suffered with uncontrollable seizures. It is so difficult but over time, the pain will lessen. You will know when it is the right time

George, I hate hearing about this, even though it's part of being a pet parent. If she has told you it's time, trust her. My last dog told me, too. We talked to the vet, allowed a week to say goodbye and then sent her off to the Rainbow Bridge. One of the saddest days of my life but I owed it to her. I'll be thinking of you.

Helene

Archived