CairnTalk

$540 Bone

TazTalk

Nothing like an ER vet visit on a holiday weekend!.

After dinner last night Taz swallowed a 2-1/2 inch rib bone. We called the ER and they said we should come down right away. They took an xray and saw the bone in his stomach. We were told it was too big and not the right type to pass through his system. So they gave a injection to induce vomiting. The fact that he had some food in him helped to bring it up. Had it not, the next step would have been a $1200 scope procedure... really glad we didn't have to go there.

So... please be careful when you are grilling ribs this weekend! These little guys can be very fast to swallow something they shouldn't.

That would put a damper on the holiday cook-out. Glad Taz is ok - no more $500+ bones for you Taz. :nono:

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Goish that was an expensive piece of bone! Glad Taz alright

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Glad it all worked out. I practice "drop" to get him to spit something out & "leave" to stop him from picking something up & "out" to make him leave the area/room to prepare for moments like this. I only have Jeff trained in this, and need to work on Oscar BEFORE it's needed.

I became a dog person AFTER I got my dog.

Bestfriends2-1-1.jpg

Taz is pretty good with drop it normally. He was running away with the bone when my husband told him to drop it ... he looked up and swallowed it! What was he thinking!??! :cry:

He was thinking "better eat it before they take it away." Sorry for the incident. At least you witness the incident, and was able to take care of it right away.

"better eat it before they take it away."

Cute. That's exactly what he was thinking. Oh Taz, you silly boy.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Jeff is good with drop too.... but I fear that he too might do something like this.... it's lucky they were able to get him to throw it up!

I became a dog person AFTER I got my dog.

Bestfriends2-1-1.jpg

Sorry that happened. But thanks for posting. We rarely have meat so our guy LOVES a bone. Last time we gave him one-- in January it worried me because he ate it. Small pieces though. Now that he's older I imagine he'd gulp as much down as he could. Yours is a good reminder not to give him a bone when ever we do have one in the house again. I agree, it makes bully sticks seem afordable.

We had a similar situation with our first Cairn, Willie. We found a pork bone that some construction workers had tossed down the day before. Just like Taz, he swallowed it down fast but had real trouble right off the bat. I had my fingers down his throat trying to get it out. It finally went all the way down, so we headed to the vet right away, even before they were open. They were great and opened right up for us, and Willie ended up with the scope procedure. Same thing, it was too big and oddly shaped to come out the other end. He was fine and we brought him home that same day.

Even the well-trained ones will snarf something down fast if they really want to. Willie was a good dog and usually let go when we told him to drop it, but we caught this one too late. Glad things worked out for you.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Archived