CairnTalk

Potty training Attila

DemiSheep

We are about 30 minutes away from the breeder. We wanted to tell you guys our plan for potty training Attila and get some feed back. This is our first puppy. He is 8.5 weeks old so he has to potty every 4 hours. We plan to take him out every 4 hours to go potty, including in the middle of the night. We will set an alarm to wake us up during the night. We don't want him to have an accident in his crate. As time goes by and he can hold it longer we will start expanding the time between potty breaks/getting up at night. What are your thoughts?

Our Cairns: Attila (Sprouted 03/09/11), Tessa (Sprouted 01/14/12)

Sounds like an excellent plan!! We're in the process of potty training our lab puppy. Luckily, my hubby takes him to work at night so I don't have to get up and take him out in the middle of the night.

The only thing better than owning a Cairn is owning two!

I brought Scruffy home at 8 weeks old. Through the day his potty breaks were very very regular depending on what he'd been doing. The moment he woke up it was outside for potty break. This could be every hour if he chose to sleep. as soon as he'd played a game or eaten it was straight outside for a potty break. In other words, it can be really often through the daytime. Once asleep through the night he'd last 4 to 5 hours.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

He probably won't be having accidents in his crate. So, I wouldn't worry about getting up through the night. He will let you know. Mine only had a couple when she was that age in the crate. They don't like to go in their own space. Ripley is about 5 months old and is 85% potty trained. I don't know if it's the breed that's hard to potty train, but we did make a lot of mistakes. Using puppy pads was convenient, but it taught her that inside was "okay". I don't know though. I might use them again for another puppy. They are useful until they hit the 12 week mark and have the muscle control.

I don't think 4 hours is often enough though! They go at least 6 times a day at that age and not only when it is convenient. Maybe up it to every 3 hours? And immediately after meals! I'm interested to know how it goes. As I said, we made mistakes, so....I'm no expert! :whistle: Keep us updated.

PS- Don't get too stressed about it! He'll get the idea. Take the opportunity to make corrections when you catch him in the act, but it is too late after it has happened. They don't make the connection at that point.

Before picking up Layla from the breeder I had done a lot of reading on the forum on this very issue. Unfortunately, each puppy is different. From the moment we got her home, it would seem that almost every hour she was needing to go out. When first up in the morning, after playing (you have got be to really fast) after eating - well...pretty much every waking hour.

You will need to take him out almost every hour, the exception being at night when he is in his crate. You have to make sure that the crate is only large enough for him to turn around in. This way he won't want to mess in the place that he sleeps. If he is sleeping in his crate in your bedroom, you will hear if he wakes and cries and you can assume he will need to be taken out. Once again - good luck (glad it's not me as I've just gone through all this!)

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

We kept our litters until 12 weeks and by that time they were already crate trained. Almost always they could all sleep the entire night without going out, although if they cried to go out, we would indeed take them. (You'll figure out which is which by trial and error, most likely.)

Now during the day they have to go a lot more often. After they wake up from a nap. After they eat. After they play in the water bowl. In the middle of a big chase. As soon as they notice you're distracted. Etc.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived