CairnTalk

Food allergy?

2littleterrors

Poor little Cash has been fighting diarrhea and bloating. Off and on, and to varying frequency. His BMs were completely solid when we got him. And we did the gradual switch over from the sample the breeder sent home and what we feed. (Which is Natural Balance ultra premium.) It got worse once we switched him all the way over to our food. One day, he had a really bloated tummy and I discovered that he had gotten into the bag of food in garage and ate about half his weight in kibble. It all cleared out in the next 24 hrs, but it was all diarrhea. He's still have very loose stools since and is incredibly itchy (with no sign of fleas!). Last night, when I was cooking dinner, I gave all the dogs a chunk of raw chicken. And over night and thru the morning, he has been bloated, gassy and had diarrhea. After reading what info I could find and putting symptoms on a timeline, I've come to the conclusion that I believe he is allergic to chicken. Thru it all, he's never acted like he's in pain, lethargic or the least bit bothered by any of it. So I think we'll give him oatmeal and pumpkin tonight and after his neuter, we'll switch him to a LID diet. My question is what protein do you think would be the best for him? I think we're gonna stick with Natural Balance, but use one of their LID varieties. Should we use lamb, duck, venison, bison, fish? Have any of you had any of these experiences?

I also think we might add some probiotics and/or digestive enzymes for a while.

The only thing better than owning a Cairn is owning two!

Normally I would say wheat but isn't natural balance wheat free? Poor pup- I hope he gets to feeling better. Worms can give them diarrhea though.

Archived