CairnTalk

Cairns and the Cold Weather

Guest B_mommy

Hello There,

I love this forum - I think the advice and anecdotes shared by fellow Cairn lovers are wonderful. :)

I have a dilemma/question and was hoping to get some advice. I just moved from Sunny (and Warm/Hot) California to the Cooler (and currently rainy and cold) East Coast with my almost 1-year old male pup. Is it very difficult for a Cairn used to warm weather to adapt to the much colder temperatures? Do Cairns need sweaters, coats and little booties for the rain and snow?

Sorry if these questions seem naive and weird, but I am a first time mommy. :shy:

So far I haven't read anything weird on this forum. We're just a bunch of Cairn lovers who tend to go overboard at times regarding our pets. :)

I live in CT and it can get to -20 sometimes during a nasty winter. Last year when Madison was a pup I'd put a sweater on her to go out. Was it needed? Probably not but I felt better seeing her warm and she looked so darn cute!

This year I'll forgo the clothing because she has a nice coat but the pup I'm getting next month will probably be wearing Madison's hand-me-down sweater.

The only thing I've noticed that will bother your Cairn in the snow is having the fur on the bottom of their feet pick up small balls of ice or snow. It then becomes painful for them to walk. I make sure the fur between the pads is clipped short especially in the winter.

Other than that I think your little guy might just like playing in the snow. My girls come in from outside looking like little snowmen.

Welcome to our little group!!

Our Scully was about 7 months old last winter and we couldn't keep her IN when it was snowing! She would have stayed out for hours if we let her. She drove me nuts every time it snowed wanting to go out constantly.

I love the doggie clothing, but I can't bring myself to buy it for some reason. I'm wondering though - I wonder if they have doggie boots to protect their paws. I'll have to look into that.

Hi! I live in the northeast and Riley just loves the cold weather - - he will beg to go outside on the deck and stays out there for quite a long while. As far as wearing any king of clothing - - - Riley also has 4 leather boots for inclement weather - - - I have discovered that my Cairn loves to go naked!!!!! He doesn't want anything to encumber him - - likes that freedom!!!!!

Hi Scully's Mom - - actually Riley got the leather boots as a Christmas present from a friend last year! He told me he got them at a pet store so I am sure they are readily available. They are easy to get on a squirmy Cairn because they have a velcro strap on the top - - you can easily make them fit any size paw - - but I must admit that Riley doesn't like them too much!! Sure do look cute tho!!!

P.S. These boots also have a non-skid surface on the bottom - - -

Hi again!! I think it is "one size fits all" type of thing with the booties - - I have seen them at various pet stores - - not the exactly what Riley has but very close!

Sccout really hated going out in the snow. If it were not very cold, she didn't mind, but when we had bitter, bitter, cold she refused to go out. If she DID go out, she would sit in the snow and cry! I felt so bad for her that I went out looking for snow booties. I went to Petsmart and asked an employee about the booties. He suggested that I buy baby socks and use velcro to keep the socks on! Well, I went to the store and bought pink booties and a roll of velcro strips. I measured around her leg and cut the strips of velcro. We only had to use the booties 3 times last year. She wasn't happy putting them on, but she kept them on as long as it took her to go potty outside. And no more crying! I think the booties and velcro were about 6 dollars total...a pretty good deal!

Archived