CairnTalk

Slicker BRush or Mars Coat King

S&Riley

Another conundrum i have ....

I'm very keen to make sure Riley's coat is how the breeds should be - although i have no intention of showing him - so the groomer gave me a "slicker brush" will this be sufficient to strip his coat or do i need to get this Mars Coat King so many recommend.

Must add - on trying to hand strip - not a whole lot every comes out, and there is pain for him. My understanding of hand stripping is that if its due to come out, it will not be painful for the dogs

advice, any and all, gratefully received,

thank you,

Sophie

I never thought a slicker brush did much on my boys, but the Mars Coat King does very well for us. Oh, and the Furminator for Packy, who grows undercoat faster than I can rake it out.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I like both - The Coat King for pulling out dead coat and the slicker brush for regular brushing. The slicker brush will remove some of the undercoat and does a nice job of making Buffy look presentable. I also use a metal comb for the hair on her legs and face (and for cleaning up her rear end, which is more sensitive). When I first got my Mars Coat King I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was near the end of winter and Buffy looked like a yak; her coat was completely out of control. After a good session with the MCK she looked about two sizes smaller.

Hi Sophie:

If I can trim up Kirby - anyone can! Rattlesnake Gal has a post with beautiful dogs called Mac and Bailey overlapping dogs, where she tells how she got their coats to look great. Bradl (I think) has posted pictures and very detailed explanations of how to strip and what the dog should look like. Idaho posted before and after pics with his techniques. Doing a search on this wonderful web site will yield you lots of good instructions. I use a 10 blade Mars Coat King for his back and body. I used a metal comb for face and legs, I use the slicker brush when he looks like he's had a really bad hair day and I also use a regular dog brush on his belly. He is not really not into grooming but he tolerated it okay! And didn't turn out bad if I say so myself. Oh, I forgot, I trimmed up with rounded shears.

I would like to get a MCK one of these days! I like the slicker brush for pulling out dirt, undercoat, and tidying things up on a daily basis. MCK would be for in place of, or, in between hand-strip or hair cut. I also use a comb on the face and head.

It's important to keep in mind that a MKC will not actually strip the hair. It pulls out undercoat and if used improperly, will cut the outer coat (definitely not what we're going for).

A slicker brush will help get out undercoat, but won't do any good for stripping either.

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

I use a slicker brush on mine all the time. It cleans out the dead hair and undercoat nicely. I also use the MKC only when I do a full grooming and I use it modestly. Mostly on their chest under the neck and the butt, the back and sides I strip, and legs and stomach I use the thinning shears.

A vote here for one of each. Slicker is wonderful for undercoat - since we moved to a cold climate, Currey grows profuse undercoat that will shed if not pulled out. To get the undercoat out with MCK, too much outcoat would be cut off. The MCK is a wonderful tool for pets and far easier than proper hand stripping but better for the coat than clippering. You keep a shaggy, semi hard coat without having to go through the hassle of hand stripping, which is a very slow process that my cranky little dog hates.

Jandy, do you recommend a furminator over a slicker brush for undercoat? I've thought of getting one. If I don't keep up with Currey's undercoat in the winter, he can get some mats on his rear.

I love the furminator for the under coat! And for just a weekly de-tangle I use a pin brush. (The kind that almost looks like human hair brush.)

It's supposed to be almost 70 here tomorrow with SUN!!! So I think I may tackle my girls. Do so grooming and a spring bath. I'll try to remember before and after pics.

The only thing better than owning a Cairn is owning two!

A vote here for one of each. Slicker is wonderful for undercoat - since we moved to a cold climate, Currey grows profuse undercoat that will shed if not pulled out. To get the undercoat out with MCK, too much outcoat would be cut off. The MCK is a wonderful tool for pets and far easier than proper hand stripping but better for the coat than clippering. You keep a shaggy, semi hard coat without having to go through the hassle of hand stripping, which is a very slow process that my cranky little dog hates.

Jandy, do you recommend a furminator over a slicker brush for undercoat? I've thought of getting one. If I don't keep up with Currey's undercoat in the winter, he can get some mats on his rear.

I just never had any luck with a slicker brush on my dogs, but they probably work for some. Every dog seems to have a different coat and some things that work well for one, don't work for another. I have a slicker brush but usually it's only used when our Lab friends come. :)

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Archived