CairnTalk

Problem with site?

DemiSheep

When I click on the link to this forum from a google search I am taken to some tinyurl site that talks about Windows 7 tech support. I went back and clicked on the link again and it took me here. This happened twice today, just wanted to bring this to someones attention.

Respectfully,

DemiSheep

Our Cairns: Attila (Sprouted 03/09/11), Tessa (Sprouted 01/14/12)

Here are the details:

I type "cairn forum" in google and the top link is this: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cairnterrier.org%2Fforum%2F&rct=j&q=cairn%20forum&ei=gf6wTaaKJcWztwfYvsmIDA&usg=AFQjCNFoAWfc1hWnXJHy0w-ogjU4e0Yf-Q&sig2=FngT0ns-S6VRgqjwP5-bDA&cad=rja

BUT, it shows the link is: http://www.cairnterrier.org/forum in the description of the link so it's very deceiving.

Here is what I see as listed under the google hit:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forums - Cairn Talk Forum

- 3 visits - 12:03am

Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club. 5 Topics; 0 Replies. 19 June 2010 - 07:45 PM; In: 2010 Columbia River Special... By: bradl. Read-only forum ...

www.cairnterrier.org/forum/ - Cached - Similar

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just checked and it's still doing it.

This link talks about Windows 7 and how it will be marketed: (?????) http://tinyurl4.info/2e8d8420

I use FireFox and I just tested it in IE8 and it is doing the same thing!!

Cairn Talk is losing visitors because of this!

You said you don't have control over google links but yet google needs to be alerted to this issue.

EDIT: It doesn't happen every time, after the first time the link was fine.

EDIT(2): I reported this to google...I think.

Respectfully,

DemiSheep

I just tried it in chrome and it popped up with the first link that brought me to the main page.

The only thing better than owning a Cairn is owning two!

Wow, very interesting. Thank you for following up!

Your link (with the google redirect) does exactly as you describe. Weird weird weird. If I search for "cairn forum" myself in Firefox, it lists the forum first, but with no redirect ... just the expected URL (cairnterrier.org/forum) which behaves as expected. Ditto with Internet Explorer. Maybe I'm here so often that there is no first visit for me :lol:

Thanks for reporting it to Google. I'm off to see if I can learn learn how to decode the redirect string to see if it holds any clues.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

DemiSheep ... Thank You! Your alert and follow-up helped me find a serious problem. I found a cache file that had been injected with a fairly well-known malicious code snippet. It has been removed and some additional security measures implemented.

It does not appear to have been an intrusion per se but possibly some sort of code injection. To strengthen protection the friendly Cairns guarding the perimeter have been replaced with Direwolves.

It will take a while for search engines to replace the poisoned index file (fortunately Google indexes Cairn Talk very frequently) and it's possible there are other contaminated files I haven't yet found. But things should be back to normal soonish. Thanks again.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Well great, glad to have helped. I was starting to think I was going crazy and that I had spyware on my computer. But having spyware on two different browsers at the same time would be totally nuts. :huh:

Archived