CairnTalk

Genetics connects humans to cairn :

T-REX

I've just read this article and would like to discuss it with everyone in this forum : " If a dog's soulful eyes or sneaky behavior seem almost humanlike at times, there's good reason -- humans share about 650 million base pairs, or rungs, on the DNA ladder.

A rough sketch of the genetic map for man's best friend reveals that dogs have more genetically in common with humans than mice, even though canines split from a common ancestor on the evolutionary tree about 10 million years before humans and mice did.

"We are much closer to the dog than to the mouse in terms of our gene content and structure," gene researcher J. Craig Venter said. His black standard poodle, Shadow, provided the genetic samples for the sequencing carried out by the Institute for Genomic Research and the Center for Advancement of Genomics in Rockville, Md.

Venter founded both institutions and was the leader of one of two teams that first sequenced human gene maps.

The institute's Ewen Kirkness is the first author of the study, published today in the journal Science, and owner of a mixed breed from a pound. He said that dogs are second only to humans in terms of being the subject of medical research. This is understandable, considering that mutts have been living with humans for at least the past 15,000 to 20,000 years.

And dogs share about 360 of the same genetic disorders known to contribute to human illness. The top 10 diseases affecting purebred dogs are also major health concerns for people, including heart disease, epilepsy, allergies and particularly cancer, which does not occur naturally in mice or rats.

"Dogs get all the same diseases as humans and the clinical presentations are similar," said Elaine Ostrander, who heads the Dog Genome Project at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle. She has helped produce earlier outlines of the dog genome. "

By Lee Bowman /Scripps Howard News service .

T-Rex,

Thanks for sharing that great info. Being the "dad" of various breeds of dogs through the years, I know first hand of the similarities and the connection between canines and humans. The bonds that I have had with all my dogs (especially my Springer Spaniels, and now my Cairn) have been stronger than my bonds with some humans. During times of stress, my dogs (especially my last Springer, Chelsea) seemed to sense it and would attempt, through laying next to me, or nuzzling my neck with their faces as if to say "It's ok, I'm here for you". As long as I am able to care for one, or two I will have dogs as companions and most of all, friends. :thumbsup:

MikeC

MikeC, you've said it all . . .

Unfortunately, those articles will justify it in some people's minds to use dogs for experimental testing in labs. . .and that will open a whole new can of worms.

I just don't understand why "regular people" can not see the emotions, the feelings in dogs as "dog people" do, but then again regular people couldn't see them in "slaves" 100 years ago either. You only have to live with a dog to understand a dogs love, I think sometimes a "dumb" animal is more loving than some people. (OK alot of people)

The race is on whether "people" can understand this world before we destroy it . . .

:confused:

Alright T-REX your making us think way to deep here . . . got any good housebreaking tips or ideas with what to do with a dog that chews up "only your shoes? :devil:

K

T-Rex,

Thanks for sharing that great info.  Being the "dad" of various breeds of dogs through the years, I know first hand of the similarities and the connection between canines and humans.  The bonds that I have had with all my dogs (especially my Springer Spaniels, and now my Cairn) have been stronger than my bonds with some humans.  During times of stress, my dogs (especially my last Springer, Chelsea) seemed to sense it and would attempt, through laying next to me, or nuzzling my neck with their faces as if to say "It's ok, I'm here for you".  As long as I am able to care for one, or two I will have dogs as companions and most of all, friends.  :thumbsup:

MikeC

I understand it , and I believe that a human is not the best thing to be .I even bet that 100 % of people who believe themselves to be sincere and faithful , wouldn't have chosen to be humans if they were to decide .

Archived