CairnTalk

highlighters

Guest Rachel

HI! my one year old Agatha got mad at us for leaving her and chewed a highlighter on sat. night. She seemed fine until mon. night when she starting urinating on the floor. something she hasn;t done in a long time. then she was sleeping on me and pottied again. i could beleive she did that. ever since she ate the highlighter she finihsed her bowl of water, unusual for her. has this happened to anyone else?

RAchel

-thanks for all the helpful advise you give

Sudden inability to control bladder can be other things too, unrelated to the highlighter, so a trip to the vet is probably in order, to rule out infection, crystals, etc.

Did she eat and swallow the plastic housing and/or metal clip? If she did, and you haven't seen them 'come out the other end' - well, again, I'd check with a vet myself. A little bit of plastic usually comes out OK - a big tube or metal clip could come out fine or could be a problem.

I don't know what's in a highlighter. I found a Material Safety Data Sheet for one brand of highlighter (the kind used to mark paper) and it was listed as nontoxic. You might ask a store that carries the brand she ate if they can obtain or show you an MSDS for it.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

If the highlighter was an "Accent" or Mark-a-Lot" brand, they are both non-toxic. We use this brand at work. Like Brad, my concern would be for any plastic or metal pieces that could have been ingested. I would say a trip to the Vet is definitely in order.

MikeC

Get to the Vet.

Please be aware that just because something is marked non-toxic for humans, it doens't always follow that it is non-toxic for canines. Choclate is a no-no, fruitcake can be lethal (to0 much laxative) and grapes can cause renal failure in dogs.

Archived