CairnTalk

Grooming Videos

dinib

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Hand-strip-the-Head---Cairn-Terrier-198453069

I just found these grooming videos (free) online. Where were these 3 years ago when I first got a Cairn. I am a more visual person, so it really helps me see what someone is doing. I have to say, that Cairn is a trooper. Gracie looks like a catfish right now with her thin hair and overgrown head. There is no way she wouldn't voice and act out her displeasure if I were to tug on her head like that. devil.gif

Hope the link helps the newbies figure out what is meant by hand stripping.

Thank you. I still have a question on the ears. Do you guys pluck the whole ear or do you clip or shave?

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I watched several of the videos, man that guy goes to town! See that little cairn's head whip around several times? He was rough in my opinion, but fast!

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Thank you. I still have a question on the ears. Do you guys pluck the whole ear or do you clip or shave?

The ears are plucked - the tips are plucked free of long hairs altogether down a third of the length (or half - it's not a precise thing). That gives the nice ears-poking-out shape that is characteristic of a Cairn head.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

On the ears, I have to admit that while I pluck Packy's ears, I resort to clipping and shaving Kirby's. For some reason, I just can't seem to strip his ears -- the hair just won't come out!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

He was rough in my opinion, but fast!

I totally agree. I kept thinking poor puppy, but he tolerated it well. I know for a fact my pups would have a stroke if I tried to groom the tail as the guy in the video did. I can work on my pups for about 20 minutes at a time before they start getting restless.

Archived