CairnTalk

Breathing problems

littlelily7

We just adopted a cairn terrier a little over a week ago. Since we have had him; he started making a strange sound and convulsing when he breathes. His body looks like he is hyperventilating while he gasps for air. I took him to the vet, and they said it was an upper respiratory infection. He sneezes a lot as well. He received an antibiotic shot and pills for 10 days. Could this be allergies? I am still concerned because when this happens, he seems very scared. He has done it since being on the medicine. Has anyone else experienced this?

Littlelily7,

How old is your Cairn and where did you adopt him/her from? If the dog came from a kennel, it may have kennel cough. The convulsions however, disturb me as dogs don't usually convulse when they have normal infections or allergies. Did your Vet run any specialized tests to come to his diagnosis? Have you used this Vet before and are you comfortable with him/her? Sorry for all the questions, but if the answers to any of my questions are "no", then you may want to get a second opinion. I hope your little gets better!

MikeC

Sonny is around 2 years old. We adopted him from a non-kill shelter that places animals in foster homes instead of "pounds." The vet said it was kennel cough and upper respiratory infection. This is our first dog, so I may be freaking out over his "cough." I have never used a vet before Sonny. His body acts like he has the hiccups. Maybe a second opinion would be the best thing for him if this keeps up. He never did it in the vet's office. The vet did say that his heart and lungs seemed clear. They only took his temperature, and did a physical exam. No blood tests or x-rays. Thanks for the help!

When ours get a case of kennel cough the vet treats it much as yours has done. My understanding (I am not a vet) is that the treatment is to prevent or treat a secondary infection and/or pnuemonia more than it is to 'cure' the kennel cough, which supposedly resolves on its own. Kennel cough can sound absolutely horrible. Keep a watchful eye out for improvement and don't heisitate to ask your vet follow-up questions. Hope your little guy feels better soon.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived