CairnTalk

ILP/PAL

KShep

Ripley came from an unregistered litter, and since she will strictly be a companion, I really didn't mind. But I was reading up on the ILP/PAL program and got kind of interested in enrolling her when she's old enough. Is it a complete waste of money or somewhat beneficial? Who knows? I could change my mind about participating in events in the future.

I'm a real supporter of the ILP/PAL program. If you think that you would like to participate in AKC sanctioned events an ILP/PAL will be the way to go. Everything from Agility to Tracking will be available to you with the exception of Conformation. The UKC has a similar Limited Privilege Registration---I really like UKC Obedience. If you do not intend to participate in sanctioned events an ILP/PAL would be of NO value at all.

George

I can't recommend this program enough. Mac the Westie (the white sheep of the family) is PAL listed. He now has two Rally titles (RN & RA) getting ready to start on RE. He also his JE title. Sherry wants to start him in Agility too. Best $30 or what ever it was I have spent. I have had many an hour of fun with him.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. The PAL program opens up all the AKC performance events to you. Everything you do with your dog will enhance your relationship. (and, I might add, everyone roots for PAL rescues and other PAL entries to do well!)

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

• 1 month later...

The rules change often..but I think the PAL dogs can do companion events and agility..but not performance events..like lure couse, earthdog and hunting and or field trials

Kristi

A PAL/ILP dog is treated as a purebred dog and may participate in any event that is appropriate for it's particular breed. A PAL/ILP dog must be spayed or neutered and that particular condition disqualifies any dog, regardless of pedigree, from competing in Conformation.

AKC sports are divided into Companion events and Performance events. All breeds can participate in Companion events but only specific breeds are allowed to participate in Performance events. Companion events include Obedience, Rally, Agility and Tracking. Performance events include Field Trials, Hunt Tests, Herding, Earthdog, Lure Coursing and Working Dog Sport. For example, a Golden Retriever, regardless of pedigree, can never participate in an AKC Earthdog Test and a Cairn Terrier, regardless of pedigree, can never participate in a Retriever Field Trial, however, both can compete in an Obedience Trial.

http://www.akc.org/reg/ilpex.cfm

Canine Partners is a separate program for mixed breed dogs and is, I believe, limited to Companion events.

http://www.akc.org/mixedbreeds/index.cfm

George

sorry Gearge I think I was getting the mixed breed registry confused with the other, (the ILP/PAL and the canine partners). You are totally correct on that.

not to say any terrier mix wouldn't enjoy a go at the rats!

Kristi

Archived