CairnTalk

I'm getting concerned about Ziggy

hheldorfer

Buffy's brother Ziggy (3-year-old Shih Tzu/Silky mix) just doesn't seem right today. :confused: Yesterday he and Buffy played in the snow and had a great time. All seemed to be well last night. This morning he got up with me but didn't go to his usual spot; instead, he lay on the floor and chewed on his nails. I couldn't find anything wrong with his paws or nails (although they could use a trimming).

When I let him outside he ran to the end of the yard as usual but then seemed to freeze up - understandable because the temp was -5 degrees this morning. Ziggy's right front leg is deformed; we give him Glucosamine/Chondroitin to help minimize joint pain (per Doc's recommendation), so I thought his joints were reacting to the extreme cold. I carried him back inside the house.

Once inside, I poured food into both dogs' dishes and set the dishes in their usual spots. Ziggy knows full well which bowl is his (although he tries to steal from Buffy when his bowl is empty) but he went straight for Buffy's bowl instead of his own. Luckily Buffy seemed to recognize that it was just a mistake and (relatively)gently pushed him away from her bowl.

I don't believe Ziggy has been exposed to any household chemicals, hasn't fallen and bumped his head or been poisoned. There hasn't been any change in our home routine. His appetite is good and he's drinking his usual amount of water.

Yes, I'm going to consult our vet about this but I'm wondering if anyone else has either experienced this with a younger dog OR can think of other causes for this behavior. Would you be concerned by these developments? I'm wracking my brain, trying to retrace Ziggy's steps for the past 24 hours to determine if he was exposed to anything harmful, had a rough bump while playing with Buffy or anything else.

DH is home with him today and is watching him carefully. If we're still concerned by tomorrow morning, we'll make an appointment at the vet.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Yes...that does sound concerning. I think your right in watching him and possibly going to the vet if it continues. It could be the cold weather taking its toll on his leg and giving him more discomfort than usual, but if he continues while in the warmth of the house it should get checked out.

Keep us posted on Ziggy and in the meantime give him a big hug from my gang. :hug:

Thanks, Hawkeye. Ziggy will appreciate the hugs!

I guess the thing that worries me the most is that he had a "dead" look in his eyes this morning. I know this is a strange comparison, but it's the look that my dad had when he developed Alzheimer's.

hheldorfer - I would also be concerned (not easy typing with nine fingers) I agree with the strange behavior and vacant look in his eyes. You know your pups and also when there is a signal of alarm. I hope that whatever it is - it leaves as quickly as it came. The concern I have is - what brought it on - what is it - and will it come back. It's tough to determine what you should do - if you take him to the vet - who's to say if they will find anything in any event? My advice is in agreement with your own - take the wait see approach and if necessary act accordingly. Please keep us updated on his condition. Hugs from Layla, Oldfox and myself.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Well, Ziggy seems fine tonight. He gave me his usual, enthusiastic greeting when I came home from work and performed admirably during our nightly training session. I played fetch and tug-of-war with him (in the basement, not outdoors where it's about 5 degrees) afterwards and he was as frisky as ever.

DH and I discussed it over dinner and we think maybe the bitter cold was just too much for him this morning. He had a miserable look on his face when I rescued him from the back yard this morning and it may have been caused by extreme pain in his leg, even though he was only outside for a few minutes. I had another small dog with arthritis years ago who would do the same thing when it was too cold outside. I don't know if this explains his apparent confusion, although I know that pain can make humans a little addled. I would assume it has similar effects on dogs.

Anyway, I appreciate the concern and am certainly still open to other ideas/comments/suggestions. We're going to take the wait and see approach and pay more attention to his behavior in the next few days, watching for any signs of discomfort or confusion and noting the circumstances. I sure hope the little guy is OK. One thing that comforts me is the knowledge that Buffy always watches over Ziggy and I think she'll "tell" us if she senses something wrong. God bless her, our little "mother hen" Cairn!

I am so happy to hear Ziggy seems to be back to normal. You must have given plenty of hugs. I've got to believe that the cold had a lot to do with Ziggy's problem. It's wonnderful how Buffy watches over Ziggy!

That's what amazes me about Buffy. She's such a tough gal - stands her ground at the dog park and doesn't take any guff from the big dogs - but it has become apparent that she has taken on the role of big sister to Ziggy and dotes on him. If he is being bothered by another dog at the park, Buffy inserts herself between the two and chases the other dog off. If Ziggy starts whimpering or giving any indication that he's uncomfortable, Buffy is right there to check it out. Don't get me wrong - she'll play roughly with him and teach him a lesson if he gives her any trouble - but she'd be lost without him.

Gotta love Cairns!

That's wonderful news hheldorfer - the relationship between the two dogs seems priceless. One day, I would like to have that caring and concern inside our home, unfortunately I'd have to have two dogs for that. One never knows what the future holds in that direction.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

That's what amazes me about Buffy. She's such a tough gal - stands her ground at the dog park and doesn't take any guff from the big dogs - but it has become apparent that she has taken on the role of big sister to Ziggy and dotes on him. If he is being bothered by another dog at the park, Buffy inserts herself between the two and chases the other dog off. If Ziggy starts whimpering or giving any indication that he's uncomfortable, Buffy is right there to check it out. Don't get me wrong - she'll play roughly with him and teach him a lesson if he gives her any trouble - but she'd be lost without him.

Gotta love Cairns!

We have a similar situation here. Bailey is our peace maker - when Radar gets too pushy with our senior Casey, Bailey jumps right in between them and barks his full head off. This stops Radar immediately. I know how you feel, Bailey is the sweetest cairn and so watchful over Casey. Bailey had to learn to play rough with Radar -- at first he was too gentle and was pushed around, but now has learned to give it back in a playful manor. I love these guys!!

Ziggy still seems fine so I guess it was a false alarm. (Can't help myself for being an overly-concerned mother!) I just wanted to share a quick story: Last week, DH told me that Ziggy had learned how to press the button to roll the window down in the back seat of the car. I was skeptical and thought it was just a fluke. Yesterday I decided to take Buffy and Ziggy to the dog park. I heard Ziggy tapping on the armrest in the back seat but figured he was just excited and looking out the window. Then I felt a strong, cold breeze blowing on the back of my neck. Sure enough, the little devil DOES know how to roll the window down!

I never thought I'd have to use the window lock thingy for the DOGS! :P

Archived