CairnTalk

Hi All!

DawnandTuk-tuk

Well, it's been a little while since I've been on...again, lol. I have some news, we adopted a puppy! She is not a cairn :( but is an adorable Aussi & Cattle dog mix. I'm figuring if I can take on the terrier, we sure can try a herding dog! :confused1: She just came home today. Someone found her litter in a construction site and turned them into the Humane Society, no mom. My sister is already pushing me to get another dog. I think we'll wait a couple yrs for Surfer (my son named her) to get the hang of things.

It's been really hard without Tuk. Friends/family have learned to bring him up only under careful circumstances since I still cry. One time I started crying at the food court in the mall (recently)! :confused: The kids miss him terribly also. I don't expect the pup to fix all that, but I do want another Cairn someday and she's a good start to helping heal.

So the first pic is with my son and Surfer and the second is of all my other furbabies. If you can find them in my mess of a bed, you should see Molly (gray, 13 yrs), Batman (black & white) and Robyn (Batman's sister, she's all the other colors, lol). Batman & Robyn are doing great since coming to live with us. Both have gotten over their fears and are a pair of trouble makin cuties! Molly is the same...mad! haha Batman is totally curious about the new addition and they have had some adorable interactions already. He wants a play buddy!

Happy New Year!

post-3497-0-68654300-1294374660_thumb.jp

post-3497-0-60954900-1294374938_thumb.jp

Howdy neighbor - so nice to hear that you got a puppy - that is wonderful news! I bet the kids are super excited. Surfer can help you herd the kids in the morning to get ready for school :)

I totally understand the "still cry sometimes" thing ... I still get teary about Bandit too. Tuk was special and of course he will hold an extremely special place in your heart.

So, if Surfer wants to meet Taz sometime to run off energy - let me know!

Congrats on your new addition. He looks adorable - I love the hearding dogs.

Edited by TazTalk

Yes, it is so hard - Tuk was blessed to have you and you were blessed with Tuk.

Now you are investing your heart again in your new pup Surfer. He looks like a blue heeler(sp?) - they are very loyal dogs, very smart and good workers. He will be a great addition to your home - keep us posted on Surfers progress.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

So glad you could open your heart to another dog. I'm sure he doesn't take up any of Taz's space there at all.

I figure each new dog just gives us the chance to have an even bigger heart...

Dear Dawn,

I think the photo of your son with Surfer says it all! Surfer will find his way into your heart and fill it with joy and happiness again even though the ache of Tuk-Tuk's loss will always remain.

Congratulations to you for adopting this adorable pup. Keep us up to date with pics of Surfer!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I was delighted to see your news, Dawn, and Surfer is an adorable :wub: pup. I think he'll be Cairn-friendly in the future - Buffy has a riot with the cattle dogs and border collies at the dog park. And what a wonderful person you are to adopt this abandoned little orphan!

We all understand your continuing sadness over Tuk. It's SO tough . . .

Have fun keeping Surfer entertained and exercised. He looks full of love and mischief! :twisted:

Idaho Cairns

Dawn, loved the picture of Surfer but must admit I could find the furbabies in the other picture. Still that little Aussie really is beautifully marked and is obviously being loved the right way by your son!

Glad all is going well and don't worry about the pain when Taz's name comes up, you will be experiencing that emotion for a long time if my experience is any indicator. We never forget the dogs we love, they never go away, faithfully they lay softly and quietly on the couches of our memories, looking up and wagging their tails every time their name is called--it will always be thus. That's not a bad thing Dawn, emotion keeps them close, just where they always wanted to be.

Love ya, keep with us.

Dawm, Congratulations on your new addition. Surfer is a beautiful dog and your son says it all. Many of us have experienced the lost and totally understand your emotions. I can turn on the tears pretty quick when talking about my previous babies. Surfer can herd all the cats when it's time to eat. :lol:

Hello Dawn I too know how deeply you felt the loss of your beloved Tuk-tuk - as we also lost our Westie (Molly) on the same day (July 2nd) and thought we could never love another dog as much as we loved her. As Kathryn stated, your heart only grows larger to accomodate the extra love for a new puppy and doesn't diminish the feelings we had. I'm very happy for you and your new addition to the household. As Sanford says - it will be nice to have love and happiness back in your home and bring you additional joy with the antics of Surfer. He looks like a real cutiepie. I too am now being reminded of what it is like to have a puppy again. Layla is now 3 1/2 months and I don't have time to do much else (while she is awake) other than to play and teach and just enjoy having her. Each new adventure is a treat to both hubby and myself. As she learns so do we. As time goes on, we learn to leave the past behind and enjoy the present. I know I will enjoy hearing the stories I'm sure you will be having with Surfer and wish you much success with your new bundle of joy.

Edited by pindrop

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

I'm really happy for you, the photo of Surfer and your son shows the affection between them already. I was so sad for you when I read about Tuk on here. I hope you'll keep us updated on Surfer's progression, lots of photo's please original.gif

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

:wub:

I am so thrilled to know you have a new four legged love in your life. Congrats! The picture of your son speaks volumes.

I've thought of you many times over this holiday season, worrying, knowing that it would be hard for you, but hoping to see a post from you, that showed exactly what you have posted here. I do believe, I do, I do, I do!!!

Congrats to you Dawn and your lovely family. :wub::wub:

Dawn, when our Cairn, Murphy, woke me up with kisses this morning, I suddenly thought of you and Tuk-tuk and wondered how you and your family were doing. Imagine my surprise when I saw your posting about the adoption of Surfer! Seeing him and your son together really warmed my heart.

I know how terribly painful it has been for you to lose sweet Tuk. As I read your posts during his illness, I cried with you so many times. No dog will ever replace Tuk. But, I have learned through losing our beloved Ralphie and Betsy Noodle and our subsequent adoptions of Gracie, our Lab, and Murphy, our Cairn, that our hearts have many rooms. Surfer has found you and will undoubtedly be cherished, just as sure as your love for Tuk-tuk will endure for the rest of your lives. :wub:

Thank you for all the kind replies! It has been really great these last couple days to have a warm, furry little bundle to kiss and love on. It's also been quite strange...many of us have posted (often) how our beloved Cairns completely ignore us unless food is in hand, well Surfer does what I ask her just because I asked her! :huh: What!? No food required? This will be easier for my son when it comes to training of course, but I have just been stunned. I guess I forgot that some, well many, breeds don't require the bribe, lol. Surfer adjusts her behavior with the most minimal redirection/reprimand. I'll definately be needing another Cairn, I mean what will I do if I don't have to negotiate with my dog?

Needless to say she's really smart and is already learning to scratch at the door to go out for potty. She's accepting her crate but doesn't like it...I'm not sure how long we'll keep to it. I figure if she can be trusted not to chew (and is already getting the potty thing down) then she can just hop into bed! She does really great during the day just napping where we are. Oh, and her & Batman have started to play together! So adorable! Last night they had the zoomies together, lol. The kids are great with her too, but they both have always been good with animals. My son has taken right to the responsibility of caring for Surfer, cleaining up the occassional accident, washing her bowls and of course playing (he's even great about the sharp puppy teeth-ouch!). It's really sweet. :wub:

"It's also been quite strange...many of us have posted (often) how our beloved Cairns completely ignore us unless food is in hand, well Surfer does what I ask her just because I asked her! What!? No food required?"

I believe you're witnessing a miracle! Kind of takes the fun out of it though, not having to think three steps ahead and carry a bag of treats in your pocket! ;)

Hiya Dawn,

I am so happy for you and the kids. I've thought about you often. I hope Surfer will help you heal. No one will ever replace Tuk-Tuk (or my Mandy, or all of our furbabies that have gone on before us), but giving your heart and time to another dog will surely help ease the pain. Please post more pics of her when you can. I just the photo of her and your son - adorable!

Congrats on your new addition!

Hugs,

Autumn

So it's been about a week and I'm trying to adjust to alot less sleep, yawn. I have some questions for anyone who would like to give advice. I've never had a puppy so young before and when I briefly Googled my issues I didn't have alot of success (and even less time to be thorough). I have a vet visit Saturday so I'll be asking then too, but you guys are the best dog people around. :thumbsup:

1. She bites alot. Now I've trained some puppies not to bite before and it's not rocket science. Plus she's a smart dog. However, she is not responding to the loud OUCH when we say it or NO. I am having small, tiny, itty bitty amounts of success with this only after 15-20 minutes of working with her and getting my hands, arms, feet, clothing and whatever else she can get her little teeth on shredded to bits. She forgets immediately. I'm sure most of this is due to her age and know she will grow out of 90% of it, but...it makes spending any time on the floor with her painful to say the least. Of course we have toys, and I'm freezing a washcloth as I type, but what else can I safely give her to chew on (see below for more issues with this)? Or other ideas for correcting the behavior in a dog sooo young.

2. She has a sensitive tummy...I think. I bought some good quality treats for all ages and they gave her the worst stomach issue that I almost rushed her to the vet. It passed in a couple hours but now I'm afraid to give her anything other than her puppy food. She is praise motivated so that helps but I need something for her to chew (above) and some training treats to get her to walk on a leash (she hates it, below) to burn off some of her energy to help with the chewing, lol. Jim (jimnconnie) has often suggested applesauce froze into a kong...do you guys think this would be a safe chew (food and/or toy) for such a young tummy? Remember the Humane Society estimated her to be 2 months. I just don't know what to give or not give her to eat. Yikes!

3. Walking on the leash is not something she likes, well she hates it! She hates her collar cause it makes her itch so bad. I don't know what to do! The Humane Society put a little collar on her and I left in on for the first 24 hrs and she itched a scab on her neck from it. We bought a different collar and she still itched. We've been leaving it off trying to calm the itching but now she doesn't want to wear it at all. I can't bath her yet cause of her stitches from being fixed (poor baby, soo young!). AH! What to do!?!

All in all I know I'm dealing with some issues because she hasn't had proper socialization with her mom & siblings but I think we can deal. I just don't know what I should expect from her at this age. Am I being to paranoid? Should I just get more firm with her? Here's a pic from the other day, this is a throw pillow from the couch that the kids love to 'throw' on the floor (she's so small!). <_< Dang kids.

post-3497-0-20130900-1294979103_thumb.jp

Yes, the joys of puppyhood can be trying, can't they? Just a few thoughts:

It seems unlikely that a dog would have an allergic reaction to a collar but I guess it's possible. Do you think Surfer just doesn't like wearing a collar? Maybe try something very loose and lightweight to get her used to it. The other option would be a lightweight chain collar to see if that causes the same reaction. I wonder if she has some kind of skin issue which may be helped by a bath with medicated shampoo, once it's OK to bathe her. When the collar thing is resolved you can continue working on walking on a leash with her.

The kong/applesauce thing sounds like a good idea, certainly worth a try. The high quality treats may be too rich for a puppy's tummy; save them for later.

Biting: Yeah, she'll probably grow out of it but, in the meantime, continue to say NO when she does it and try holding her down on her side as a correction.

Hang in there and remember that Surfer is still trying to find her place in the household. You're a great mom and you'll do fine! :)

Dawn, laughed when I read your posting as I was going thru all these problems last year at this time! Never thought Pegi would get over the puppy issues! Anyway, both Pegi and my dog before her (Indy, a shepard/golden mix) HATED the collar at first. Pegi especially kept digging at it. I loosened it (making sure it wouldn't go over her head when on a leash) and after about a week she was OK. With Indy, because she was so big, I would go between a regular collar and a choke.

Pegi also wasn't a fan of the leash (we got her at 12 weeks) so I used (and still use) the retractable leash. She has also used a harnass since we got her as she was a pulling fool!

Good luck and glad to see you have a new furry friend!

Linda & Pegi

Dawn, laughed when I read your posting as I was going thru all these problems last year at this time! Never thought Pegi would get over the puppy issues! Anyway, both Pegi and my dog before her (Indy, a shepard/golden mix) HATED the collar at first. Pegi especially kept digging at it. I loosened it (making sure it wouldn't go over her head when on a leash) and after about a week she was OK. With Indy, because she was so big, I would go between a regular collar and a choke.

Pegi also wasn't a fan of the leash (we got her at 12 weeks) so I used (and still use) the retractable leash. She has also used a harnass since we got her as she was a pulling fool!

Good luck and glad to see you have a new furry friend!

Linda & Pegi

• 1 month later...

I finally found my post, lol. I saw that it had moved but didn't see where it went to.

So potty training has entered the ever eventual frustrating phase. She can hold it, knows where she's supposed to go but forgets and goes on the floor anyway. I remember this phase with Tuk, and remember how much I disliked it. Sigh...

She has gotten bigger and has decided to try chewing on my dining room table. :shock: Noooo!!!! I am always in search of something she wants to chew on. She doesn't really seem to like the Kong, she licks it but is easily distracted by the cats. Sticks from our hiking excursions are still number one faves, that is of things she's allowed to chew on.

I can give her treats now and since she's 3 months old am ready to try out a bully or rawhide. I hope one of the two will hold her interest, help her chewing and keep her still. LOL!!!

Biting is a huge issue still. I have begun time outs since its about the only thing that works at this point.

And alas, I'm a bad doggie mom. I totally did the whole, she's small and cute and helpless and, and, and...and now I have a naughty, bitey, grumbly, sassy, misbehavin 3 month old devil. I have created an adorable little monster! :blush: So, I'm working on it. My vet asked me last weekend if I've been able to wear her out yet and I had to answer no. She goes to bed with me and sleeps the night but she is never puppy tuckered out. We are taking more walks but she doesn't care much for them if there aren't alot of people around. I can't wait for her 16 wks shots so we can go the dog park and/or I can consider doggie day care. Well here is a pic of Surfer. I love this one, I was rubbin her belly and I think she looks like she's smiling.

post-3497-0-46741100-1297739166_thumb.jp