CairnTalk

Quick! Is bread safe to eat?

Tony

I was walking my dog, and there was a noise and I looked to the side, and then my dog picked up part of a roll (like a hero) from the floor.

He wouldnt let me take it out of his mouth, and when I pried opened his mouth, it was gone already.

Is it safe for him?

I know that chocolate is dangerous for dogs, but whatabout bread?

Thanks!

Guest posting as: osuvicki

Bread is fine. When I was a kid we always raised our larger dogs...collies and St. Bernards on white bread soaked in milk. My dad was raised on a farm and that is how they fed their dogs...And if I make myself french toast for breakfast...I make Gracie a slice! Just no maple syrup for her....lol.

Tony - the main food that I am aware of:

chocolate - as you already know - a BIG one!!!

onions - dose dependent meaning the bigger the dog - the more consumption is needed but it can cause a Heinze body anemia

grapes/raisins - one or two (depending on the size of your dog) may be okay but an overdose can cause kidney failure

Tony - took this list off of the Humane Society Website:

The following foods may be dangerous to your pet:

* Alcoholic beverages

* Apple seeds

* Apricot pits

* Avocados

Tony,

Yes, I agree with Calli's Mom. By the way, thanks for providing that listing. There were things on the list I was not aware of that are harmful to pets. Duffy has eaten bread on occasion and he is fine. My Vet told me that good human food (cooked meat, chicken, carrots, rice) in small portions, maybe once a week, are actually good for pets. I know that this may be up for debate with some of you, but over the years I have given all me my dogs healthy people food and they all thrived and lived past their normal life spans.

MikeC

Guest Tototoo

The kids left a half eaten sandwich on the table yesterday and Toto is really getting good at taking food from the table when we're not looking. Later as I went to pick-up the remains I noticed he ate the bread, but left the ham! He says the bread is fine, but he wouldn't touch the lunchmeat! Maybe dogs know best . . . :P

K

Bread is fine, as the others have said. In fact, when I thought Piper had swallowed some floral wire, our vet told us to give her an entire slice of bread, which would help to 'coat' the wire and make it easier to 'pass.'

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

And I'm surprised by the walnuts!!

Last spring I literally ripped bushes out of my yard that were considered poisonous to dogs because Madison was a pup and just HAD to experience everything with her mouth. For all the baking I did for the holidays, I never worried about any dropped nuts/walnuts (yes, I'm a messy baker) but I tried real hard to never let a chocolate chip drop....if one did I made sure I was the first one to get to it.

Like I've said before...there's always more to know/learn. Thanks for the list!

My two will eat almost anything! My vet told me about onions and raisins/grapes, so I know not to give them any of these.

Scout has constipation problems and our vet told us to give her a large spoonful of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) in her food. She loves it and it has really helped with her problem.

We are growing tomatoes and have the small yellow ones...Finch loves to eat these...Scout will just lick them! Last night I was sitting on our next door neighbors deck and Scout came running up her steps with a large green pepper in her mouth. She ate it quickly so we couldn't take it away from her! It was only one of a few that actually came up in her garden.....oops! LOL! At least they are healthy dogs!

I noticed the other day that half a chocolate bar I had put in the door of the refridgerator is missing. I questioned hubby who didn't even know it was there (he's not a big choco fan). I am still wondering if Maggie figured out how to open the fridge. It wouldn't be too far off...she can get stuff out of the trash can without ever knocking it over. Its amazing. But she never got sick so maybe I ate it and it was so good I went over-the-top euphoric and forgot all about it....

I'm on here learning about Cairns as we are looking for one and I saw this thread and had to chuckle over a dog we used to have. We had a Great Dane that was a bread fiend. I came home from the grocery store one afternoon and set the groceries in the back door to get them out of the rain. Two loaves of whole wheat bread double bagged were sitting there less than 5 minutes. When I came in they were gone, inhaled by the big guy, thank God he didn't eat the wrappers too! Love this forum and have learned so much, thanks to you all!

Archived