CairnTalk

Sickness = Behavior Problems?

Tony

Our Cairn is about 10 months old.

He does the usual, sometimes he chews on the carpet and chews on slippers.

But recently (last month or so) hes been good and hasnt done that much.

He has been acting very maturely lately.

But last week, he kept barking, so I took him out, and he threw up.

Since that day, he has reverted back to how he used to be.

Constantly biting on slippers, his lease and chewing on the carpet all the time.

What could be causing this backslide in behavior?

Tony,

They will fool you! Once you think they are going to become little angels, they revert back to being little :devil: 's. A Cairn will keep you constantly on your toes. But that's why we love them so much!

MikeC

I read that the chewing behaviours are a reaction to discomfort of some kind. I also read that dogs fed as much dry food as they like (and who like a lot!) will experience discomfort due to the swelling of the food in the stomach. Just a thought - you never know, (but to avoid this possibility I always soak the dry first!)

>> I read that the chewing behaviours are a reaction to discomfort of some kind.

Could be...but I dont know what the discomfort could be.

He has plenty of toys around him.

>>I also read that dogs fed as much dry food as they like (and who like a lot!) will experience discomfort due to the swelling of the food in the stomach.

hmmm yes, he eats dry food.

But he doesnt eat a lot, we give him 1/3 to 1/2 a coffee cup.

I was thinking he isnt getting enough to eat (he eats at 7:30am and 6:30pm) so thats why he chews on the carpet.

Tony,

My Cairn Duffy is 9 months old and he gets plenty to eat, believe me, and he still chews and digs at the carpet. I don't think food has anything to do with. My dog likes to chew and dig, and possibly your Cairn does too, however if you are giving him only 1/3 to 1/2 cup of food a day, I don't think that is enough. Duffy gets 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the early evening. You may want to increase the amount you are feeding yours and see if that helps the carpet chewing.

MikeC

Duffy gets 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the early evening. You may want to increase the amount you are feeding yours and see if that helps the carpet chewing.

1/2 of a coffee cup?

I might try increasing it.

He seems to ALWAYS want to eat things off the floor while walking outside, plus when I give him treats, he eats it in like a split second.

Tony,

1/2 measuring cup. We keep a separate measuring cup with his food. If you are using small coffee cups, that is why your guy is always hungry!

MikeC

Archived