CairnTalk

Sorry...more handstripping questions!

jo_

Hi. I know there are lots of threads on this topic, but I still have a few questions.

1. Jagger is 4 1/2 months. At what age do you start hand stripping or how do I know when her fur is ready to be stripped?

2. We live in Ontario, Canada and it won't be long until snow is here. Am I better to wait until spring when the weather is warmer? I'd hate to ruin her first winter by stripping her of a warm coat.

3. Do handstripped cairns still have the scruffy shaggy look? We have a very short-haired Westie in the neighbourhood and I'd hate for her to look like him (no offense but although he's cute, he's no cairn!!)

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

jo

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

I'm from the UK so our winters don't get as cold as yours but our breeder told me to get Scruffy stripped at the beginning of winter and then in the Spring.

As for knowing when they need to stripped, well Scruffy's coat was just starting to part down the middle of his back and his feet were well overgrown.

I know what you mean by the scalped look , I personally love the shaggy look but it's whatever you prefer I suppose.

When Scruffy was stripped, the groomer didn't scalp him as such, he still had a bit of shagginess. He's 8 months old now and he was stripped a few weeks back.

I shall hang on now until about March for his next strip but it's growing rapidly so even if they're stripped right down it doesn't take long for it to grow again.

Are you thinking of doing it yourself ? I started stripping him a bit but I know I couldn't have done as good a job with him as the groomer. Perhaps with practice I might have improved.original.gif

He wasn't very good at letting me do it but he was good as gold for the groomer whistle.gif

First photo was just before and second just after stripping.

post-4904-0-10469800-1290773535_thumb.jp

post-4904-0-18492500-1290773737_thumb.jp

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Scruffy looks a little embarrassed int he second pic. So cute. After stripping they don't look like a Cairn to me, but they sure feel good and it does grow out fast and healthy. A couple times a year is what I do also. I wouldn't strip during the winter - it can wait.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I just wanted to say hi :) WallE and I are in Ontario also, Toronto. WallE had a bad experience with a groomer who said he was gonna be stripped but was clipped right down instead. He looked hilarious, but he survived winter fine. His coat is growing back and we have arrangements with a handstripper close by when it starts to look too scruffy. I dont know if its correct or not but, I read somewhere once that when the hair starts to part down the middle, it might be time to handstrip, and I thought I saw that on him, so I took him in. The groomer put us right back at square one with no hair :(

Puntuation MAKES the post

Hello to my fellow Canadians! We're in London - only a couple of hours down the 401 - practically neighbours ;-) Sorry about your bad grooming experience - sounds like you're not the only one...read of a few horror stories. I've found a groomer that will come to the house and says she uses her hands not a stripping rake or clippers so hopefully we'll be in good hands.

I've also read a couple of places that a good sign to start stripping is the part down the middle. Jagger doesn't have that yet so maybe it's too soon. I just talked to her breeder today and she thinks it might be good to wait until spring. I am leaning towards waiting unless someone here convinces me otherwise!

Thanks all!

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

Archived