CairnTalk

Potty control

Michelle

I have a male Cairn named Riley who is about 8 yrs old. Lately everytime we take him outside, he just wanders around and runs off. And as soon as he is back in the house he goes either pee or poop in the house. This has happened the last couple months. Everytime he has ever needed to go the bathroom, he starts whining and we let him outside. But now we dont get that anymore. He seems to always go potty inside the house no matter how many times we take him outside.

So im trying to figure out if it can be of his old age?

or bladder?

or not getting enough attention?

Thanks for the help,

Michelle

I think you can rule out old age; 8 years is definitely not "old" for a cairn. A vet visit & lab tests might be appropriate in order to rule out underlying health issues that might be a cause. Others on this site have addressed this Behavior by recommending going back to housetraining 101 with your dog. Crating him & restricting his access to the house, going for short, frequent walks with praise & rewards for pooping, peeing outside, etc.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Yeah, got to agree with Sanford, the dog is confused. Take him out on a leash and continue to give the command "Potty" until he goes and then shower him with praise--he'll get your drift pretty quick. If you don't leash him he will merely wander around investigating everything.

Once that smell gets into the backyard he'll prefer to update there and not in the house. Watch him carefully inside and discipline if he goes or tries to go inside.

Treat the walk as a reward. The dog has to eliminate before being allowed a walk. Also, don't forget to throw a huge party every time he goes. Keep a stash of THE MOST TASTIEST TREATS EVER!! (cheese, in our house) and use those ONLY when he goes in the appropriate spot. My Cairn gets very distracted when let out into the back yard to make. The only time she makes right away is if she REALLY has to go, otherwise, it takes her a bit of backyard investigation to ensure that everything is up to her standards before she does her business LOL! I often think that apartment dwellers or people without the luxury of a fenced backyard own dogs that take longer to housebreak as the people without backyards have to take the dogs out on lead for elimination - mind you, as you say, those dogs also take their time sniffing around and such.

Ah, housebreaking woes!

Keep us posted!

"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." - Sue Murphy

My Cairn gets very distracted when let out into the back yard to make. The only time she makes right away is if she REALLY has to go, otherwise, it takes her a bit of backyard investigation to ensure that everything is up to her standards before she does her business LOL!

This is Paisley to a tee. Ohhh the sniffing...

Paisley is just over 1 and she still goes poop in the house every once in a while (i swear its when she is mad at me or just wants to see mommy fuss). I am at a loss for what to do as well..ugh.

**Ila and Paisley**

Thanks for the advice. He has been doing a little better. We used to have him in a kennel when we were out of the house, but then decided to put him on the deck so he has room to walk around. But even after being out there, we take him outside to go potty, and does nothing. He just sits on the porch. Then we eventually get him to the yard and yet again just sits there. So after 5-10 minutes, we give up and bring him inside. Within half hour he goes potty inside the house. (which is normally when he is left alone downstairs when we go upstairs to change clothes or clean. Which is why i think he is doing it for attention.

p.s And we do give him praise when he does go the bathroom outside.

Which leaves me to wonder what it really is.

Totally agree with Idaho and Kit! A party is a leash and a party with treats are a must. My cairn gets very distracted outside - too many other smells. When he won't go I walk him around the spot I want him to go!. Eventually he does. But I make sure we walk or play after otherwise he keeps wanting to go back out! Good luck!

Sometimes when I need Zekey to GO but don't have time for a walk (like before a training class), we play a rousing game of chase in the back yard. After 5 or 10 minutes of that, he'll go potty. Works almost every time.

I would deal with Riley as if he were an untrained puppy. Take him outside when you think it should be time for him to go potty, such as when he wakes in the AM, after meals, after naps, and before bedtime. With him on a leash, wait 10-15 minutes for him to do his job, and if he doesn't, take him back inside and put him in his crate for 30 minutes, then take him back outside to try again. If he still doesn't go, put him back in the crate for another 30 minutes, and then take him outside again. He won't soil his crate, so this way his only option is to go potty outdoors. When he does his business outside, lavish praise & treats on him, and allow him some play time. It will take time and consistency, but it should work. Good luck!

Jim

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Archived