CairnTalk

Visit to the Groomers

beccadiane374

So...this Saturday, I took Tanner to be groomed. I've been trying to find someone that hand strips, but no luck so far. One of the places I called actually very rudely told me she didn't have any idea what I was talking about and hung up on me...not sure if she thought I was a prank call or what. Anyhow, his current groomer does a form of stripping, but she uses tools, she doesn't do it by hand. I figure that's better than getting him shaved & I work on him myself as time allows, but I haven't mastered the art as of yet. Tanner's groomer works out of his vet's office, so it's a place he's familiar with and all.

Well, Saturday when I went to drop him off, I walked in...and was met with the sight of 3 other cairn terriers!! I knew my vet saw other cairns and are somewhat familiar with the breed (something I'm very thankful of, after reading some of your stories), but I had yet to see any other cairns there. Tanner, of course, was so excited, he was just wiggling, but other than a few nerve-curling barks, behaved quite well. All 3 of the others are with the same family and are quite rambunctious. They had two & had planned on staying with just two, but found "Fielder" abandoned in a field, so took him home & kept him, too. The lady was very frazzled (which...3 cairns, can't say I blame her!) and handed off her dogs with their individual orders of who needed groomed, who needed shots, etc., and then came over to meet Tanner. Her first question to me, as she knelt to pet him and he very quielty laid down & soaked up her attention, was, "So, is he trained? Does he go potty outside? Because my three just go in the house wherever they want to. Does he behave?" Of course, I was happy to tell her that he is trained, he does go potty outside & he rings a bell to do so. There's no way he would've been able to just go potty wherever, whenever, that's a bit unacceptable. We talked for a bit & then parted ways.

When I went to pick Tanner up, the ladies' behind the desk told me (teasingly) that the other 3 cairns were still there, I could have my pick, if I wanted. I told them I would just take my own, thank you. To which, one responded, "I think you've got the better end of the deal, anyway." Then she went back to get him & brought him out & told me that the other cairns were back there just barking & making a fuss (I could hear them out front) & Tanner was just in there sitting there & looking at them. She then told me that he was the best behaved of all their cairns. Needless to say, Tanner & both walked out with our heads held a little higher! :blush:

(But in the defence of Tanner's true cairn attitude, trust me, he has his not very well-behaved days & can be quite rambunctious himself...but on this day, he made me proud!)

Becky & Tanner

Congratulations to Tanner on his good behavior! I hope he received extra treats and scritches for his efforts! :)

Sounds like that little lady is going to be frazzled most of her life. A pat, a scratch and a treat for Tanner. Good boy! :)

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

aww, Tanner is such a good boy. That poor lady, those Cairns have done her in. But really, how can one live like that? It is just not sanitary. Malcolm does the same thing, when we go to the vet or groomers he is a little angel.

Archived