CairnTalk

agility (finally)

PeppersMom

I have wanted to try agility for years. Pepper and I went to our first agility class Tuesday night. What a blast! Pepper absolutely loved it! I have never seen him work so fast! It is a beginner's class but we ended the night by having the dogs stay and then take 4 jumps in a row and come to the handler. He looked so cute jumping and did them all with style. We are currently training for utility and now I need to figure out how to get him as motivated as he is in agility.

Sounds like alot of fun for both of you. It's so nice when a dream comes true and you're actually doing it. Keep on having fun with it. Pepper is a sweetie and I bet he is just soaking up the new experience and all the attention. :)

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

• 1 month later...

He is incredibly fast at agility! I have to make an effort to slow him down. I think in agility he thinks he has died and gone to heaven..there are no "no's" and food for just about everything..LOL!

he has died and gone to heaven

...as opposed to his usually pampered life? Ahh, to be a Cairn. Glad you are both enjoying it so much!

Agility was as much a workout for me as it was for Zekey -- lots of running! I keep meaning to order a tunnel for him to use in the back yard.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Pepar you do not want slow.Quick dog is good. It's great that you are doing and do you enjoy agility.For usin the Czech Republic is a lot of dog agility what they do,indeed many. Andifthere is not a dog can not win so fast: {

I'm so glad to hear how much Pepper enjoyed the agility class. barmun, Baylee, Mom and Dad are starting our agility classas om Jan 15. Cant wait. We will need to compare stories in a few weeks.

Glad he loves his new sport. Jock as a youngster loved agility... the only problem was that he didnt love the huge doberman which was in the same class. Jock would fly around the course.. then make a dash for the dobbi. Not a good thing :devil:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• 1 month later...

Don't mean to hijack the topic, but mine is so similar I didn't see the point in another. Ripley and I have just gotten into agility too and I am ridiculously excited! I'm so ignorant about the whole thing, but I'm sure a couple of hours research on the forum will be a good introduction. We had a private lesson today and Ripley is a natural. Definitely time to look into that ilp/pal registration!

Go, Pepper, go! I look forward to hearing all about this adventure (and Ripley's, too!), so Divot and I know what to expect this spring when we give agility ago!

My comments really apply to training our Cairns to do anything:

Keep it fun

Don't drill over and over

Don't expect perfection

Pay often

Don't slow them down, later you will learn to take shortcuts to get ahead

Don't be disappointed if you do alot of foundation work in your lessons, and you don't get to just go out and run courses, the foundation work will pay off in the longrun.

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

Archived